Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:23:42 AM

Author Topic: 3 Kw Ac Servos  (Read 3051 times)

3 Kw Ac Servos
« on: September 30, 2008, 01:41:49 PM »
Hi All

I have the opportunity to buy a big vertical boring mill for very little.

It has 3 kw Axis motors on it but they are AC Servos.

Would Mach be able to control these motors and if so what hardware would be required

Regards

Flash
Re: 3 Kw Ac Servos
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 02:36:45 PM »
Flash,
  Assuming you have the drives as well, if they accept step and direction signals you should be good to go. If they are analog(ue), there are boards available to convert the signals. But I have never used them.
RC
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 02:57:08 PM »
No drives they have been ripped out.

I would consider buying new drives and compatible motors. Where would I buy the analog to digital conversion boards from.

I need to get a clear picture in my mind

1) The step and direction signal from Mach will go through a conversion from analogue to digital and then onto the drives
2) The drives will have an on board power supply that is AC at a common voltage eg 220/380/460 Volts
3) Compatible encoders to the drives will be fitted  to provide feed back

I understand that this is not going to be a 1500 dollar retrofit.

Flash
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 05:15:05 PM »
New drives and motors......Automation Direct has great prices and several users report good results
EBay is a good source for used stuff..you need to know EXACTLY what you are looking for....and Buyer Beware of course.
You only need the converter IF the drives you get do not accept step and dir. Be sure to get ones that do. Like the Auto Direct ones.
    (the converters go from Step/Dir to analog)
Yes, the drives usually accept line voltage and low voltage dc for the I/O.
The motors have an encoder for feedback as well as commutation.
1500 will get you started. The rest will vary....depending on the route you take.
RC