Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:18:22 AM

Author Topic: setting up new workpiece  (Read 2645 times)

setting up new workpiece
« on: September 25, 2008, 08:27:09 PM »
Hey guys:
I'm new to CAD, new to CNC and new to my EZ router. I am set up for plasma. I bought the machine used, everything works if you know what ur doing. I can follow the work pieces that were left in the machine and cut fine but I am lost at inputting my own files.
I have PDF and converted them to DXF which my V-carve reads ok. End of the easy stuff for me. I don't understand the lingo for the most part. Vectors Gcode etc. I don't know how to input dimensions for my workpiede, how to nest, etc.
 I think I understand what the "material" means... the size of the sheet on the table, or does it mean... what is the size of the finished part/ I have a right triangle with 1 side at a 20 inch radius. Haven't figured how to put the radius in. Simple stuff for a reasonably intelligent person. Where does that leave me. I do good to navigate a computer period.
Can anyone give me a little guidance.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: setting up new workpiece
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 11:50:21 PM »
shane2loco4u,
 Hi!
A quick overview. CAD is used to draw something. The drawing can be converted to different forms ( like PDF, DXF) so another computer program ( VCarve) can interprit the drawing. That other computer program (VCARVE ) prepares the information into a form ( Gcode) so another device ( the controller / MACH) can execute the information in a aparticular way as  instructed by the computer. The machine  just responds to the commands given it in a mechanical / electrical way.
Magic your piece is done.

Now each of the major steps described above is a book in understanding by itself. You really need to do some reading on your owne unless you get more specific on where you need help.

If you are using MACH as the controller program there are plenty of good folks in here to help you along?
RICH