Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:22:56 PM

Author Topic: Restore Desktop Icons  (Read 14307 times)

Restore Desktop Icons
« on: September 21, 2008, 10:03:41 AM »
 8)
I had 4 Mach Icons/Shortcut on my desktop. All but the LOADER have been deleted from the desktop.

How can I get the Mill and Turn Icon/Shortcuts back to the desktop ?

Thanks,
RC

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: Restore Desktop Icons
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 10:18:21 AM »
Rc, hopefully somone else will chime in here but I have found that those shortcuts point directly to the loader.

I don't think you can restore those unless you do a reinstall    :(

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 10:46:09 AM »
Can't you just re-create them by finding the executable, right-clicking and selecting "Create Shortcut", then pasting to the desktop?
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 10:51:02 AM »
Ray, this is what I was trying to explain. When you click on the properties to one of these shortcuts on the desktop, the "target" goes to the Loader Icon in the C: directory of Mach 3.

There are no separate icons for each program (Mach Mill, Mach Turn and so on).

Dave

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 10:54:12 AM »
Go into the drive containing your program (in my case it is c:\mach3).  Find the file named - Mach3 which is an Application type file.  You have have to click on "View," and then click on "Details," to find the Application file.

Once you have located the proper file, you can go to your desktop and right click on a blank area to create a new shortcut then use the "Browse," feature to locate the previously located file.  That should do it.  Repeat for anyother missing files.

If that way is too daunting for you, let me know and I will tell you another way that will work also.

Bob @ BobsShop.  Not a windows guru.  But, I try.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 11:14:28 AM »
Bob, do you have seperate files for each Mach 3 Application in the Mach 3 directory in your C: drive?

I have one that just says "Mach 3" and that's it.

That happens to be the Mach 3 Loader that will bring up the menu for you to choose Mach Mill, Mach Turn and so on.

I have to missing something here if your saying you can create new shortcuts from the loader icon-

Dave

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 11:37:30 AM »
Ray, this is what I was trying to explain. When you click on the properties to one of these shortcuts on the desktop, the "target" goes to the Loader Icon in the C: directory of Mach 3.

There are no separate icons for each program (Mach Mill, Mach Turn and so on).

Dave

Dave,

Yes, I believe they all point to the same executable, which then figures out how to behave based on a command line argument.  On mine, the Mach3 Mill icon has this command line:  "C:\Mach3\Mach3.exe /p Mach3Mill"
    I would assume Mach 3 Turn would be the same, except for "Mach3Turn" as the last argument, instead of Mach3Mill.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 11:39:51 AM »
Here are a few pics to help I hope. In the properties tab you will see Mach3.exe/p MyMach. The bit after the p is your profile name you want to piont to. If your using keygraaber for any reason you can also replce the Mach3.exe with Keygrabber.exe and it will open your profile through keygrabber.

Brett
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 11:55:57 AM by Chaoticone »
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 11:41:01 AM »
And this is where the default icons are stored. You can just create a shortcut to anything or copy the one you have left and then edit the properties. You can also rename the short cut by right clicking it and rename. I have a pop out toolbar on the right of my screen with the most common shortcuts and files in it. This is not recommended (fly out toolbar) but I have had no trouble with it.

Brett
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 11:46:40 AM by Chaoticone »
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 11:47:32 AM »
No, I don't create shortcuts from the Loader Icon.  Lets try another way.

Go to the c:\mach3 file and locate your mach3 application.  Like I said, you will have to click on "View" and then "Details" to find the Application type files.

Or, a really easy way to locate the Mach application file is to right click on the Loader Icon then left lick on Properties  section.  When the window opens click on the Shortcut tab and look at Target - that should tell you exactly where the Mach application is located.  Highlight the data in the Target box and copy it.

Then, right click on a blank spot on your desktop, go to NEW and choose Shortcut.  When it opens you can paste the path and file name you copied from the loader into the box and create a new shortcut for Mach3.

Unfortunately, since you don't have loaders for Turn or Plasma, if you want those, you will have to go into the Mach3 or Mach folder and find them.  As someone else mentioned,   It might be easier to do a full install to bring them back.  That would not be my solution, but if all else fails then . . .

Bob @ BobsShop -