Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:32:38 AM

Author Topic: x and y axis not working properly....PPPPPLLLLLEEEEAAASSSSSEEEEE help!  (Read 6266 times)

my x and y axis will just stop working in the middle of programs or in the middle of jogging.  when this happens i have to shut down the whole system to get them working again.  sometimes when the x axis stops working i will wait a few minutes and it will come back on its own. also the dro for both axi read as though the axis is still moving. any ideas? i really need some help as i have tried everything i can think of. 

ps. im still a noob at fixing problems with mach three.

dave

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: x and y axis not working properly....PPPPPLLLLLEEEEAAASSSSSEEEEE help!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 10:56:24 AM »
Sounds like a hardware issue but next time it happens have a voltmeter ready and check that the step signal is coming out of the parallel port, you can do that by connecting the voltmeter between the X axis step pin and a ground pin, have the voltmeter on milli volt range and if its working you will see a voltage which will change with speed.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:24:02 PM »
thanks hood,  are you saying this is a connection problem?  im thnking that the signal from the breakout board is not getting to the axis motor controllers.  if its a hardware problem would it be the servo motors or the computer?

dave
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 01:15:44 PM »
hi hood,   you said to check the step pin and the ground pin..... are those on the break out board or the motor?  i tink i know what your saying but im a noob so bear with me..lol

dave
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 01:31:07 PM by sooperdrave »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 01:39:02 PM »
dave
 not saying its definitely a hardware problem but just sounds more likely than software especially as the DROs keep moving in Mach.
 You can check either at the outputs of the breakout or the Inputs on the drives. If you dont get a signal there then you need to check from the parallel port. If you dont have an E-Stop in your system then its easy enough to do, when the axis stop moving but Mach is continueing then just pull off the cable from the parallel port and put your voltmeter on the X axis Step pin and the other lead to the ground of the PP. So its a good time to make sure you know which pins are which so that the next time it happens you are ready :)

Hood

Hood
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 02:06:55 PM »
i know what to do now and i checked out the pins and what-not and i know what im looking at now.  you said its easy enough to do if i dont have an e-stop in my system.  i do have an e-stop in my system so, can i still do it this way or do i have to do something else?
thanks for the help! :)

Dave
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:08:35 PM by sooperdrave »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 02:11:42 PM »
The problem will be that when you haul the cable off the port the axis will stop as the E-Stop will trip, same with limits.
Just read your first post gain and one good thing is you have to restart to get things working again so if it stops working stop the code, go into Ports and Pins and change the active state of limits and E-Stop and remove the cable from the parallel port then start the code running again and measure the voltage.

Hood
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 02:43:55 PM »
got it!  now my last question is how can i find out which pin in the parallel port is the ground pin.

thanks
Dave

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 02:46:48 PM »
18 to 25 are grounds
Hood
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 10:37:51 AM »
thanks hood.

i did the test and it was sending the signal to the motor so I'm assuming that the problem is the signal from the motor to the x axis on the saw itself?  what do you think?

Dave