Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 07:21:22 PM

Author Topic: Lazy cam problems  (Read 23695 times)

Re: Lazy cam problems
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2008, 09:22:52 AM »
AngelT,
This is one of the main problems I've been trying to figure out.
I use Cadkey99 as my cad program and the import / export function
in that program is very strong. I also use Corel Draw X4 to do work
in. It doesn't matter what I do; whenever I export a dwg or dxf drawing
out of Corel and import it into any other program it brings it in as polylines
and or conics.

I believe the export function for Corel is really weak in this issue.
I exports for art purposes not for cam.
That's my 2 cents.

I'm going to try to turn a drawing into a bitmap from corel then use a
raster to vector program to see what it does.
I'll post my results in a few days.

Brian

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2008, 10:25:05 AM »
VMAX,
I think most of the people using this software do not have the experience that you have
and also don't have 20k in software to use when Lcam can't do what it is supposed to do.
The whole point of this thread is not to make Lcam a world class cam program but to just
fix the existing programs faults.
For example, I downloaded sheetcam the other day. Was generating code in 30min. Problems
yes, but when I imported the dxf I did nothing special and it imported perfect, was all connected
and was much easier to choose climb cut or conventional cut.
I personally like Lcam. Its perfect for what I do but I need the pocketing and offsetting functions
to work like they should along with the other functions I mentioned before.
Man oh man if they just got the program to just work better I think it would be one of
the best programs in the industry.

Brian

So true, Brian, I could not agree more. One thing though, I honestly (90 % of the time) never have issues importing dxfs though, and I'm using the free program ProgeCad and export to autocad 12 type dxf.

Now don't forget the connection tolerance needs to be changed when doing different size scale drawings as well.

Dave
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 10:30:57 AM by budman68 »
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2008, 06:14:55 PM »
You can get a program to add to CorelDraw that exports the curves properly, doesn't cost very much and works very well.
I'll remember the programs name and post back here with it.

For 3D cam I use Meshcam, I'll not claim it's perfect but it works well once you've got the hang of it.
That and Sheetcam are all I use, I too can't afford to use expensive programs but I'm willing to spend a little more to get a program that'll work reliably with relatively little messing.

Steve

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2008, 06:18:57 PM »
Here's the CorelDraw plugin to convert curves correcly http://www.candcnc.com/DXFTOOLDetails.htm

Steve

vmax549

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2008, 07:01:58 PM »
KNS, sounds like you need to bUY a copy of SheetCAM. LCAM was never intended to replace the NEED for a cam package. I to have seen many people create a perfect working Gcode file useing nothing but Lcam. It will just depend on what your CAM needs are. Some people use Lcam everyday without problems with what they consider complex designs AND some can't seem to get anything to work properly on what they consider a simple drawing. ???????

To date I have seen more problems with the drawing itself OR problems with the drawing aspect in relation to what LCAM can interpete for the design. Add in the multitudes of the DXF standard and you now have the nightmare the ART describes in working in the CAM enviroment.  (;-)

Lcam was created basically to help mach users do a simple import of a proper drawing into Gcode. It was never intended to replace even the simplest commercial CAM packages.

THe same holds true for CAM as well as CAD and Motion controllers. IF it doesn't work for you just move on to something that you think will (;-)

(;-) TP

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2008, 07:45:33 PM »
KNS,
How's the raster to vector conversion working out? Every one we ever tried wasn't worth doggy poop!
Even at the very high end, the big $ programs, they are poop also. In fact, I had one them famous vendors
present the product using one of his top talented people  to do something using their magic, they also watched at
the same time as one of my CAD persons drew it faster!
Let me know as I'm always open minded.
RICH

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2008, 11:56:33 PM »
No time to talk right now but it doesn't look good, raster to vector.