Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:46:47 AM

Author Topic: Setting Units  (Read 12705 times)

Setting Units
« on: September 08, 2008, 11:41:48 PM »
I know this is so simple!!!

Can someone tell me how and where to set the units in Mach3 so that they STAY as I want them. Each time I start Mach3, the units are in inches. I set them to Metric...run the program and all is fine... but if I close Mach 3 and restart... the units are once again set to inches. Driving me NUTS!!!   Thanks. Cas ::)
Re: Setting Units
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 12:06:38 AM »
Config/set native units.  Worked for me.
Or settings, lower right.

Ed
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:13:50 AM by edvaness »
Ed VanEss
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 12:42:13 AM »
Thanks Ed.
       I found this but I thought it was for setting up motors. That warning it gives scared me off!! Ha! ... I just need the unit set to start up in MM.   Thanks!! Cas

Config/set native units.  Worked for me.
Or settings, lower right.

Ed

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 02:17:09 AM »
OK so do you want Mach to be native Inch or Metric? Will you be setting your motor tuning as Step per Inch or Step per mm? If you are wanting to set up the motors as Step per mm then do as Ed  suggested. If however you want to keep the native units as inches but just run metric code you can do several things, first you ca have G21 at the start of your code or second you can go to config menu then General config, you will then see a box for Startup Modals, type G21 in that and Mach will always start in metric.
 I think its best to have your machine set up in the native units you will use but its up to you.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 11:19:55 AM »

Thanks Hood!
             I appreciate the help.

The motors & etc are all set up. We model & cut in metrics here 99% of the time. I had been putting in the G21 into the code that isn't a problem... I want, as you clarified for me, Mach3 to start up in metrics each time. I'll look at this with your instructions and see what I can find. I agree, I think it is best to have the software always come up in the native settings.  Again, Many Thanks!!  Cas.

OK so do you want Mach to be native Inch or Metric? Will you be setting your motor tuning as Step per Inch or Step per mm? If you are wanting to set up the motors as Step per mm then do as Ed suggested. If however you want to keep the native units as inches but just run metric code you can do several things, first you ca have G21 at the start of your code or second you can go to config menu then General config, you will then see a box for Startup Modals, type G21 in that and Mach will always start in metric.
 I think its best to have your machine set up in the native units you will use but its up to you.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 02:13:59 PM »
I prefer to set my machine in metric as that is what I use.
 If your default units are imperial then I think the tool offsets need to be imperial, much better if you use metric all the time, like me , to set everything up in metric.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 10:57:13 AM »
Thanks Hood,
               I set the G21 on the General Config as you suggested and all is fine. The program now remembers that it is to work in metrics.
THANK YOU!!!  ;)   I had looked at that page 20 times but just didn't see that setting!!  What do you make Hood???   Thanks again. CAS

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 11:14:56 AM »
Thanks Hood,
               I set the G21 on the General Config as you suggested and all is fine. The program now remembers that it is to work in metrics.
THANK YOU!!!  ;)   I had looked at that page 20 times but just didn't see that setting!!

There are just so many options in Mach its no surprise you missed some :)

What do you make Hood??? 

Scrap usually ;D

Most of my work is repairing fishing boats, welding  and machining but I also do a bit of prototype work for a company that makes magnetic detecting devices for Shell, BP, Exon etc.

Hood
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 11:23:25 AM »
 :D :D :D :D

Scrap usually ;D

Good one Hood  :D  :D  :D  :D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 11:30:07 AM by Overloaded »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile