Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:00:00 AM

Author Topic: Adding another Layer or Entity from file?  (Read 4884 times)

Offline K3HTK

•  19 19
    • View Profile
Adding another Layer or Entity from file?
« on: August 18, 2008, 07:59:30 PM »
Okay here goes.... I have two DXF files I want to merge into one LCAM project. I think I would add it as a new layer but I cannot seem to figure out how to add another layer.

I appreciate ay help one could provide..... :)

Thanks,

Ed

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Adding another Layer or Entity from file?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 08:22:55 PM »
Hi, Ed

Think the only way to do this is to add it with your Cad program, As a new layer, Copy/Paste the new layer and export a new DXF with both.

Chip

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 10:54:31 AM »
Yep, I believe Chip is correct but that would be a nice feature, (wink wink!!)  ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline K3HTK

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:40:52 AM »
Yeah, that would be a great feature! As I get familiar with LCAM I am really beginning to like it and I can't complain too much about free! Ha Ha!

The problem I am facing is that have two different designs I want to combine into one. I need to cut contour lines for one design and the other is the using the X Y sweep method. I am using Wintopo (great free utility!) to export my drawings into DXF format and using BMP2CNC to convert my JPGs to G-Code. Not knowing much about CAD and was trying to figure out how to import my jpg into AutoCAD correctly. Guess I had better start learning AutoCAD.....

Thanks,

Ed

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 01:37:54 PM »
Hi, Ed

Don't think AutoCad will import JPG's, Post your 2 DXF's, Use the "Reply" Button and Attach with "Additional Options".

Thanks, Chip

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 05:41:18 PM »
Hi, ED

try this ,process each dxf into a finished tap file. then with mach3 open use the text editor to combined the two files using the copy/paste function. make sure to remove the M30 end of file command that will now be in the middle of the new file and do a G00 move
to connect the two files, then do a save. open up lazycam then import from mach3 ,they should now be combined so you can finish it the way you want. do what CHIP ask you to do and post your DXF and we will see if we can put them together for you.

bill

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 05:59:35 PM »
Nice idea there, Bill-  :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline K3HTK

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 08:33:14 AM »
I think I figured out a way, but I will definitely give Bill's way a shot as well.... I guess what I should do is correct one of my statements. I have a JPG and a DXF that I am trying to combine into one peice, not 2 DXFs. I can use Wintopo to take a Raster into a Vector and save as a DXF. So, here is what I did after spending several hours of playing around....

I combined the DXF and the JPG into one JPG file. Next I opened the JPG in Wintopo and figured out how to get the image vectored correctly. Then from Wintopo I saved the entire vector into a DXF file and opened with LCAM. I have not milled the peice yet, but I plan to try that tonight to see how it turns out.   

Offline K3HTK

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 08:37:51 AM »
Oh yeah, I also used BMP2CNC for the JPG file I am trying to combine with to generate the G-CODE for that part. So, now that I can have two G-CODE files, I will give Bills method a shot! :) Thanks Bill!

Chip, I hadn't forgot about you.... :) I would love to post what I am working on but it is something that I am putting together as a possible "product" related to an idea I am working on. I plan on sharing once I get my stuff together to protect my design and idea... :)

Thanks everyone! :) I really appreciate it the ideas and help.... Bill I will let you know how combining the G-CODE works out....

Ed