Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:10:14 PM

Author Topic: Drop down menus not working  (Read 6441 times)

Drop down menus not working
« on: August 14, 2008, 02:04:23 PM »
Today I was working away setting up my Mach to run my router, and I went to click on "config" and "homing limits" and I can see the item on the drop down and I can click on it by the underling screen does not appear. Needless to say this has my work for the day stopped.

Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone know why this would happen?

I have restarted Mach3 several times and rebooted the computer.

HELP!!!

Terry :-\

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Drop down menus not working
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 02:40:05 PM »
Never seen it before but probably a reinstall of Mach over the top of itself would clear it up. If you have any custom screens or macros its a good idea to back them up just in case, also a good idea to have your profiles xml backed up as well.
Hood
Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 02:59:11 PM »
I did the reinstall  before I heard from you and I did know to save the XML which I thought was holding all my settings so far. Should I have saved some othe files?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 03:09:50 PM »
The XML holds nearly all of your settings but things like macros may be overwritten if you use the standard Mach profile but have written custom macros. It will only be custom macros that are the same name as the standard Mach macros. What I mean is I have a custom macro for my toolchange, it is named M6Start.m1s, it needs to be named that as thats what Mach looks for. If I was using the standard profile and I upgraded the m6Start.m1s macro would get overwritten by the standard Mach one. I however use a custom profile so Mach does not overwrite it, each profile has its own macros.
 Another file you may wish to backup is your tooltable, this is in the macro folder then your profile, it is called Tools3.dat, safest just to copy the whole macro folder for your profile ;)

Same goes for any custom screens you have made.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 03:47:42 PM »
I don't have any macros. I am only concerned about saving the motor tuning, assignments, home position, and etc. I am assuming that all that is in the xml. Right?

One othe question. I remember in the original instructions there was a warning about rebooting after the install. Had something to do with the driver and installing it. Do I need to worry about that during a reinstall? And when the install asks about the driver should I say yes or no?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 03:51:29 PM »
Yes all your motor tuning and pin asignments etc are held in the xml.

No, once the driver has been installed for the first time you dont have to reboot. Some people prefer to reboot everytime they updat or reinstall but I am not one of them :)

Hood
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 03:56:52 PM »
I have reinstalled and I had saved the xml file on my desktop. I copied it into my Mach folder, but the settings are not there in the screens. I notice that before as I starte mach I had awindow open asking me to select the xml I was using. It had 3 choices including one that my dealer made called QuickStart Mach3 which is the one I have been using. Since I do not have that window to make that selection, and since I am not getting my settings I don't think my xml is loading. How can I know that I am loading the correct xml file.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 04:01:25 PM »
Easiest way is to right clcik on the desktop shortcut for Mach3Mill, choose properties. You should see the target file as C:\Mach3\Mach3.exe /p Mach3Mill
Replace the last Mach3Mill with the name of your profile, make sure you keep a space between the P and your profiles name.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 04:10:07 PM »
ok, now we are getting swomewhere. I finally got the little window to make the selection of the correct xml.  Now when I load my xml, I am back to the same problem of not being able to selet items from the drop down menu. So it looks like my original problem is caused by a problem in the xml file.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 04:11:08 PM »
please attach your xml and I will have a look and see if I can find the problem.
Hood