Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:32:03 PM

Author Topic: initial install question  (Read 4965 times)

initial install question
« on: August 11, 2008, 07:45:58 PM »
I am more of an end user and not so much a computer guy , so this is probably a simple/silly question .

I have mounted the SS board and have unzipped the instal file. When I plug the SS board in I dont get the new hardware wizard. I am running xp pro .

When I go to control panel/instal hardware wizard the pop up window I get does not look like nor does it display the options shown in the instalation pdf file examples.

I get a window that searches for new hardware , it doesnt find anything and gives the option of installing the item manualy from a list . I do not see the ss board as an option , just monitor , ports etc .

What should I be looking for or doing differnetly ?
Re: initial install question
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 07:45:22 AM »
I have read the manual, the power jumper is in the correct position and I have two led lit , both a red and blue. I have tried all the usb ports on the computer and a different usb cable, still cant seem to get the computer to see th SS board, any thoughts?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 09:16:23 AM »
I have sent you a personal message.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 02:28:16 PM »
Thanks for all the help Brett , Its up and running . I cant seem to run any faster than before . My system may already be at the limits of the Gecko drives . I have a fullsize Bport clone 10x54 with some huge Reliant servo motors. Both the x and y axis reqire 20k pulses per inch . I have a 40 amp 48 volt power supply .

Before and after the smooth stepper I only seem to be able to run 30-40 IPM under no load , any higher values and the drives fault.
I know a power supply closer to the max 80v will speed things up some but what other things should I look at or try to get faster travel speeds, different drives?

I did notice when I change the 256 k value to 512 k that the machine will run away , input g1 x1 f1 will cause the table to move until it hits the limits . I can change the values back but it continues to do it until I replace the XML file with the back up .

any thoughts or suggestions welcome

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 02:38:16 PM »
Rich the problem could be that the geckos fault out at a fairly low count, if you dont have your tuning in the drives correct then the following error will cause the drives to fault. What count encoders do you have?

Hood
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 02:58:17 PM »
2500 cpr encoders 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 03:28:12 PM »
yep so thats 10,000 as far as the Geckos are concerned, so I think they are 128 or something for the following error, if so then its not a lot to be out if your tuning isnt keeping your motors tightly on track.
 I have 2000 line encoders on my lathe with the AB drives and the following error is set to 20 counts but if my motors arent tuned that well it will trip out on following error but the AB drives are fairly easy to tune.

Hood