Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:51:28 PM

Author Topic: Table limits and homing  (Read 3126 times)

Table limits and homing
« on: August 05, 2008, 01:00:58 PM »
Well, I've finally got the coordinates of my machine entered in to Mach3. A few more questions/issues..

From what I gather, it seems the limit switches are more of a 'backup', and that, once it's homed, it shouldn't go outside this. However, my limit switches are my home switches. I'd like to build in a 1/4 inch or so buffer, so it won't hit the limit switches. While it seems easy to build in a buffer at the other end of travel, how can I move home a little bit past the home/limit switches?

Also, how can I adjust the speed at which it homes? It's painfully slow. I could see it's a good idea for accuracy, but wouldn't it come off the switch slow, and set then?

Also, in the display in the upper right, how do you pan and zoom? I noticed this in the tutorial videos, but it wasn't clear how it was done. I suspect it might be the scroll wheel on the mouse, but I'm using a touch screen, and my backup device is an old trackpad. Is there another way?

Thanks!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Table limits and homing
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 01:24:18 PM »
Well, I've finally got the coordinates of my machine entered in to Mach3. A few more questions/issues..

From what I gather, it seems the limit switches are more of a 'backup', and that, once it's homed, it shouldn't go outside this. However, my limit switches are my home switches. I'd like to build in a 1/4 inch or so buffer, so it won't hit the limit switches. While it seems easy to build in a buffer at the other end of travel, how can I move home a little bit past the home/limit switches?

What you want to do is set up Soft Limits, that way the machine will stop you moving onto a limit, you will have to set a slow zone as well so that the motors have time to decellerate before they hit the switch. The size of the slow zone will depend on how fast your motors can decellerate.
 If you have your home switches so that the tool is lower left corner and Z fully up when homed then you need to set the X and Y Min as Zero and the X and Y Max as your travel. The Z Max is Zero and the Z Min is your travel but as a negative number. Once you have done that you can enable the softlimits from the main screen.
 This is all done from Config Menu then Homing and Limits.

Also, how can I adjust the speed at which it homes? It's painfully slow. I could see it's a good idea for accuracy, but wouldn't it come off the switch slow, and set then?

This is also set on Homing and Limits page.

Also, in the display in the upper right, how do you pan and zoom? I noticed this in the tutorial videos, but it wasn't clear how it was done. I suspect it might be the scroll wheel on the mouse, but I'm using a touch screen, and my backup device is an old trackpad. Is there another way?

Thanks!

Rotate should be Left Click of mouse or Touch and hold on screen, Pan is Right Click, Zoom is Left Click with Shift.

Hood