Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:02:20 AM

Author Topic: Probing and plate alignment  (Read 14651 times)

Offline KTM

•  92 92
    • View Profile
Probing and plate alignment
« on: August 02, 2008, 02:13:55 AM »
Hello

I have a plate that is already punched with holes with 2 reference holes on the edge of the plate, now I want to plasma cut the plate.
Is it possible to use a laser probe to set the angular offset and zero position of the X and Y axes to align the plasma cutting and punching?

Regards

KTM

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Probing and plate alignment
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 06:41:06 AM »
Quite clearly, the thing you need to do is set the 0.0 position of your plasma program and align the plate with the X or Y axis. I do not see the purpose of the two reference holes on the plate unless you are going to do multiples of the cutting. In that case you need to make some sort of jig on your table to hold the plate, with some sort of indent (or outdent) for the holes, so that subsequent plates locate in the same place.

If you know the relationship between the holes and the rest of your program, the laser probe is irrelevant. In this case a drill bit, or rod of the same sixe as the hole will suffice. Zero your table if you have lhome switches, put the drill or rod in the chuck and move the table , until the the drill bit or rod slides smoothly into the hole. If the holes are semi-circular, move the table to the correct position and put the plate in place against the rod.

The alternative is with a drill and two short pieces of rod, drill your table in the correct place for the holes, and the two pieces of rod will tap into the holes. All you plates will then fit in exactly the same position on your table.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline KTM

•  92 92
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 07:04:35 AM »
Every punching job is different. The cad drawing is made in 2 layers - 1 for punching and 1 for cutting.

To get the overlay exact it is more accurate to set a reference point on a punched mark and set the angular offset on the other mark. I cannot drill the table, as it consists of a supporting grid.
There are plasma machines that do this - some with video probes and others with laser probes.
 I just have to figure out how it is done.

Regards

KTM

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 08:07:36 AM »
Tried using the Set Rotataion wizard?

Hood

Offline KTM

•  92 92
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 06:01:20 AM »
Where do I find this mysterious wizard?  ;D

Regards

KTM

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 06:07:27 AM »
Presume you are using Plasma, if so then  big button under the SoftLimits button, it says Load Wizard. Click on that then go down to set rotation wizard.
 If you are using another screenset it may be different.

Hood

Offline KTM

•  92 92
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 06:19:35 AM »
It is not in the list of wizards - see attachment

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 06:21:23 AM »
What version you running? Its definitely in mine. No problem however, I will attach it in a few mns.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 06:23:31 AM »
OK shut down Mach, download the zip file and unzip to C:\Mach3\Addons then restart Mach and it should now be in the list.
Hood

Offline KTM

•  92 92
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 06:29:29 AM »
Thanks a lot Hood. ;D ;D ;D