Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:16:12 AM

Author Topic: Milling machine wirth servos  (Read 42701 times)

vmax549

Re: Milling machine wirth servos
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2008, 02:54:12 PM »
Hi Dennis , what did you do with the old sd drives(;-)

(;-) TP
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2008, 11:29:51 AM »
Hi Tp
 Sorry for the delay in getting back to your post the old drives are gone sold them along with all the other stuff i removed from the machine.

Dennis

vmax549

« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2008, 03:22:10 PM »
HI Dennis I was just going to remind you that the old parts have value as support parts for the older machines. BUT you have already figure that out(;-) Never Mind.

(;-) TP
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2008, 10:56:18 AM »
Hi Dennis,  I'm new here,  but have just read your entire post. (along with about 1000 others... should probably get some work done)   I have a compumill 4000 with a dynapath controler.  I seem to have similar servos as yours.  Reading trough your posts this is what I got.
Your Drives might be good or bad?
Most DIY drives were "too small"
you ran around in circles a lot.
Then ended up with Geckos and everything work out!!!

Is this about right,  does Mack drive the Geckos and the Geckos drive the servos.

Thanks,

Tom

You guys on this forum go above and beyond,  Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2008, 11:48:02 AM »
Yes thats correct, Mach sends the pulses to the drives and the drives move the motor to where Mach has told them to move to.

Hood
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
Thanks Hood,  Just to be sure I don't need a pulse to analog converter?  gecko does this right?
The servos are rated higher than the gecko is capable of,  Will the servos just run a a slower max speed if we keep the volts within range of the Gecko?  Will this hurt the servos?

Thanks

Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2008, 12:05:08 PM »
Yes the Geckos are step/direction input drives so they take the pulse that Mach puts out and move the motor accordingly.
Yes also if you limit the power supply to the max (or near) of the Geckos then you will get a proportional speed out of the motors. Servo motors have a voltage and torque constant, voltage constant is **v/1000rpm so you will be able to work out what speed to expect if you can find that constant on the motors plate. The torque constant may well be there as well, torque is directly linked to the current supplied so you will see something like Nm/Amp for the torque constant.

Hood