Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:49:32 AM

Author Topic: milling text  (Read 3406 times)

Offline GPDC

•  43 43
    • View Profile
milling text
« on: July 19, 2008, 11:12:02 AM »
   To cut to the chase: what's the fastest, cheapest, quickest way to get to where I can mill text letters...NOTHING FANCY required!
  I know I've already done what I want to with a trial Mach (I think I did it with a wizard...maybe 2.6?) & it worked great for what I want to do.
  Now I've since bought a license for 3.0 and find a write wizard that seems to only do one single line of text....to slow
  Then I buy (maybe even re bought) a license from newfangled, expecting a text wizard &...no dice, even though I know I saw it promised somewhere.
  Can anybody offer some info on this?.....thanks, in advance, GPDC

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: milling text
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 01:24:35 PM »
GPDC
There is a wizard in Mach called "WRITE" (free but haven't used it) , didn't see any in Newfanged.
Go to sherlines website and download "DESK ENGRAVE" ( free and have used it). To get mutiple lines
of test just append 2nd line of text to original gcode file ( you will have to position it).

You can also convert text from a CAD program to GCODE. I am sure there are a lot of other free programs.
RICH

Offline GPDC

•  43 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 11:43:06 PM »
"Desk Engrave" @ Sherline....ok'y dok.....I'll give it a try out in the AM...thanks for the info...G

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 11:02:09 PM »
GPDC,
You never said if you wanted to have raised letters or not. I wanted to make a few comments about raised face text
which may be worth while considering. If your fussy! The text in the attached file was created using just lines and arcs such that a 1/32" end mill could cut out the background around the letters and then clean out the remainder of background.
1. An s,o,c can look big if they were the exact same height as the other lettering.
2. Depending on were the other letters are in relation to each other t,i, they can look short if not higher.
3. A d,0,c can look pregnant
4. Watch for "color" (the area being cut out ) from letter to letter, spacing, and positioning in the outline.
5. Do a print, with say the letters white and black for the cut out area and see if you like what you see.
    ( Raised letters look different after maching them as compared to a drawing )

Just some things to think about, and should you see this plate on a custom cycle you'll know who made it!
RICH
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 11:32:03 PM »
The latest version of Lazy Cam has text generation capability.  It takes a minute to get used to but it's easy to do multi line text with it.

Good Luck.
Sid