Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:58:18 AM

Author Topic: New User - Confusing Problems  (Read 8207 times)

Re: New User - Confusing Problems
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 04:19:58 PM »
I just tried a dry run and watched the SS diagnostics page at the same time.  Everything starts well and runs fine for about 10 minutes.  During this time, the only flags that are checked are:

rvc_fifo_en    and

velocity_fifo_fill_mode

After approx 10 minutes of run, there is a jerk in one of the x or y axis and a corresponding thumping sound and then the following flag appears checked:

Velocity FIFO Ran Dry

Does any of this help or identify where my problem might be?  Thanks.

-tulsah

At home ,so dont have a SS here to hook up and look but that sounds like the one I am meaning :D

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 04:22:52 PM »
What do you have the top box frequency set to in the SS Setup page? (again sorry cant remember what its called ;(  )

Hood
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 04:32:12 PM »
I just changed it from 4kHz to 1kHz, and am re-running the program.  It is farther along than ever, with no sign of the odd behaviour.  Could this have been the root of all of my problems? What about the max step frequency settings for each axis - I currently have them set at 1MHz?

-tulsah

What do you have the top box frequency set to in the SS Setup page? (again sorry cant remember what its called ;(  )

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 04:40:30 PM »
That is more than likely your problem, it depends on your computer, mine can run no problem at 4KHz but Greg said 2KHz would be a safer bet.
For the Axis you want to set it to what each axis is, ie if you have in your motor tuning a step per unit of 20,000 and max velocity of 100 then that would be 2,000,000 pulses per min, divide by 60 to get per second and thats  33KHz so 64KHz would be needed as its the next above.

Hood
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 04:42:47 PM by Hood »
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 04:44:18 PM »
Fantastic, hopefully this takes care of it.  Do you think though that this setting is responsible for the tapered sides in my multi-pass parts, or is there another gremlin yet to be discovered?  Thanks for everyone's help.

-tulsah

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 04:46:39 PM »
Fantastic, hopefully this takes care of it.  Do you think though that this setting is responsible for the tapered sides in my multi-pass parts, or is there another gremlin yet to be discovered?  Thanks for everyone's help.

-tulsah

I would think it is, think you have been loosing steps because the FIFO ran dry, that means that axis doesnt go so far so on the next round its a bit out, one side would come out with a straight edge as it gets fully cut but the other would be stepped.
Hood
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 04:51:40 PM »
Thanks again to everyone.  I'll report soon on the result - success or otherwise.

-tulsah