Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:10:07 PM

Author Topic: Z Axis Issue  (Read 7682 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Z Axis Issue
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 05:13:07 PM »
Well afraid I cant find any reason why your Z is cutting deeper than it should on the first pass, it seems to cut fine here (simulation) using your xml and tooltable, first cut in the DRO shows it going down to -0.1" and thats what the code is asking it to do. I checked the machine coords just to be sure and as I zeroed on -2" I expected to see the machine coords as -2.1" and thats what they were.
 If I think of anything I will get back and maybe someone else will jump in with thoughts.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 05:16:10 PM »
Oh and no there are no cries of Four to be heard, cant hear that for the sound of mortars and machine guns :D There is an Arny training range right next to the Golf courses.
 Oh and BTW Tiger Woods doesnt like Carnousties course, he got hammered at the Open here a few years back, suppose the Links courses are just not manicured enough for him :D

Hood
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 05:30:10 PM »
Ok, thanks for checking, so maybe " noise " issue from some interferance on the cable traveling to the Z motor? Or checking my carriage again for any backlash or slop...? I was in the US Marines for 5 years so I would probably love the Army action ya have there. Been in a wheelchair for 20 years but I still love keeping up with the military stuff and going shooting at the range once in awhile.

As far as Tiger Woods goes, I'm glad he has got beat a few times, proves he is human and not a " Alien " from outer space here to take over the Golf world. His finish last week over 91 holes was a marathon I actually thought he would loose, think the play off thing of 3 or 4 holes would be better than making em do the extra 18 holes imo.

Well let me see what in hades can be causing my issue. Any list of ideas I should check you think? Where would you start? It runs great except for this issue LOL.

Respectfully,

Michael Fuller

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 06:05:57 PM »
Could be noise but then I would have thought it would show up in all other Z moves as well.
 Backlash, dont think its that, 1/16th seems quite a bit (had to convert to mm as my brain just dooesnt work in imperial unless I am thinking about my  fishing days and then its just fathoms and nautical miles ;)  ) Also if it was backlash then if you moved down on the work and zeroed it should have eliminated the backlash for further z minus moves, would just be positive moves that wouldnt go so far as they should. If you used a gauge block and were zero'ing out on an upward movement Backlash would mean your depths of cut wouldnt be as deep as the code was telling it to be. Think I have that right LOL
Suppose it could be a possibility of slop and when the cutter bites it drags the axis a bit lower taking the slop out but really that should show up as backlash unless it was something like the whole axis being pulled down but then it should really only happen the once as there wouldnt really be anything pushing it back up the way.

This is a strange one :(

Hood

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 11:23:51 AM »
Hi,

I recently had a "similar" problem to this.

I have a Bridgeport mill with the knee driven for the Z. One day the Z axis began to stall, exactly in the same point in the program, (so i thought).
The machine worked fine in manual jog, I spent ages zipping the Z axis up and down and could not get it to fault.
Increased the accell and velocity to bring it near the edge and still would not stall, but run the prog and I got tha nasty stalling sound.

I was sure it was the code, so I changed the code, slowing the axis at the fault line in the code, no difference. ???  ???

The fault was so consistent "it had to be Mach" :-[
Boils down to a sticky z axis screw, a good clean and the addition of a grease nipple and its been faultless for weeks now.

So back to the problem Michael has, I would take as much weight off the z axis, use a pen or a pointer to view the z distances and give it a try.

I might be miles off but if this can be tested easily, it might be a way forward, even if it eliminates and unlikley possibility..

Cheers

Derek.

You can "chop it off" but can't "chop it on"