Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:08:05 PM

Author Topic: machine conversion starting all over,  (Read 9140 times)

Re: machine conversion starting all over,
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 01:23:37 PM »
it seems the picture did post ,the machine looks at 90 degrees because my son turned the camera.but you can see all motors and also the controller.maybe I should also post it in one of the other categories so more members will see it maybe one of the has allready acomplished what I want to do for the same machine.I remember someone asking how to do retrofitting for a shizouka about 4 months ago.the boards have a legend 8A/ph max       21407201 c,d,b and have a logo which I have seen in the past but can't remember who it belongs to it looks like a sideways M crossed by an elongated S.
now that I look at the legend ,could this be 3 phase stepper motors?is there such a thing?.

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 01:39:48 PM »
From what you said about the 6 wires earlier it sounds like a pretty standard stepper.

The drives?  Well who knows.   To run direct from mach you will have to locate the step and direction inputs, and hope they are designed for 5v signals.

I I were there, I'd be able to check but I'm not!   do you not have any schematics for the machine?

In the long run it might be better to get 3 geckodrives, at least then you will know what you are driving.   Forget any of the cheaper drives out there, they would not be man enough for this size of motor.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 02:32:20 PM »
I was looking at a automation direct stepper driver 4035 which says it is a 2 phase (don't know what that means exactly) and also looked at the skyko p100 but I could not see how to connect it (seems like it will need to have an encoder ).looked at the gecko drives 212 and it seems to be able to put out enough power.but again I am still unfamiliar with tehe way to connect them. 

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 02:36:53 PM »
I mentioned the skyko because initially you said you had servo's ;)

Gecko's would be far the best best as a LOT of mach users have used them successfully. Plus your motors are fairly large.

It might be worth asking if there's anyone in your local area who is useing Mach so you can see what it's about.  I'm not even sure where you are!

Wayne...
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 03:01:31 PM »
I live in Arizona but my shop is in mexico.I see that the gecko 210 is also capable of 7a output but less costly.I guess that the difference would be smoothness in the performance at the various speeds.where could I see a set up that is a little more explanatory than a block diagram to review the way the machine needs to be set up,would you know?
Vale.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 12:30:31 PM »
good morning again .
Wayne are we in the same time zone?that is not important unless it interferes with our daily activities I guess.I think I have a good motor to replace the ones on my machine , in case I can't get them to run with the gecko 212 drive and my T20 thinkpad laptop.homeshop's RHT34-1200 looks like a good motor with 1200 oz/in I would probably still have to make an adapter plate to install .What do you think?have you ever used any of those motors/drives.?

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 03:51:41 PM »
I'm in the UK.

Been just a bit busy with a nightmare grinding job, which isn't going quite to plan.

If I were you I would try to keep the original motors if they still work ok.   You may even be able to keep the orginal drives, although they would probably be lower performance than a Gecko.   The critical thing is to find out if your drives are compatable.

Modern drives like the Gecko are microstepping drives, which gives you much smoother motion than the older full and half step drives.

Other items on your machine you may be able to keep are the power supplies, if they are suitable for the Geckos (if you go that route)

I did look at the Automation direct drives you mentioned.   They were not only more expensive than Gecko's but also only 35v 3amp if I recall correctly.

The voltage is really what determines your motors speed and the current the torque availble, thats a very simple explaination!   If you motors are 8amp you should attempt to run them close to that.

On my stepper system I run my drives at 72v, and my motors are 4.5amp. It works very well.

Wayne....
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 03:25:17 PM »
Thanks for your help wayne ,I will order the gecko(one to try out and understand conections and control)this week and as soon as I have it in my hand I will install it.In the mean time I still have to fix the bandit so that I can run the machine again.I have a couple of jobs I need to run on it.
Since you are in UK then we are about 5 hours difference , it is 12:20 here so it should be about 20 past five over there (monday 22).
Vale.