Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:10:22 PM

Author Topic: Limit Switch Problems  (Read 8867 times)

Limit Switch Problems
« on: June 19, 2008, 03:43:58 PM »
I have wired all of the limit switches in series, X,Y,Z, checked them with Ohm meter, readings are as they should be, wired to breakout board Grnd. to Grnd., the other to pin 12.  How do I set up the pins and ports on the software for them to work.

Inivator

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Limit Switch Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 03:48:43 PM »
Set up all of the X Yand Z limits and Home to pin 12 port 1.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 04:00:53 PM »
I did as you said, but now I can't reset the E Stop from the screen.  There is no physical E Stop switch.

Dumb as usual...........

Inivator

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 04:02:41 PM »
OK could be that your breakout needs a 5V and its input pin is the ground, check your breakouts manual.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 05:29:52 PM »
I have done what you said. I have discovered that with all the axis homes enabled, I can reset.  As soon a I enable anything else, I can not reset, even with the limit switches disconnected.

Inivator

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 05:39:21 PM »
what make of breakout do you have? Are your switches normally closed switches?
Hood
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 05:43:21 PM »
I have a parallel port breakout board, Probotix, switches are wire to NC.

Inivator

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 09:34:52 PM »
Hi, Inivator

Switches wired all NC in "Series",

One end, "Pin 12-BOB_____C swX- NC_____C swX+ NC_____C swY- NC_____C swY+ NC_____C swZ- NC_____C swZ+ NC_____ other end (#) see Below".

If your BOB Pin 12 is +5 volts (Held High) Then other end (#) = Gnd, Active Lows "X".

If your BOB Pin 12 is 0 volts (Held Low) Then other end (#) = +5 volts DC, Active Lows "Checked".

I may have the Active Low setting backwards, But thy will be set to the same State.

Hope this Helps, Chip

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 01:00:22 AM »
We are getting complicated here -

Inivator - I am quite sure that you have wired these correctly. Go to the dianostic screen and have a look how they perform. IF, on the diagnostic screen there is nothing, and when you switch one of the switches they all light up, then fine - you have done it. I think, however, your configuration is incorrect - and I have a feeling that your switches will be active all the time, and switch off when you activate them.

Are you also saying that even if you disconnect the wire from pin 12, it also sets "Reset".

If they are all on, and should be off, go into Ports and Pins/Input Signals and change all the signal pins (including "homes") to active low. I have a feeing the Probotix boards changes the polarity of input signals.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 07:39:56 AM »
Without any limits switches wired to the breakout board, with All homes enabled, I can reset from the screen.  When I enable any other, I can't reset.  With the l-switches, wired or unwired, when I enable any axis ++ or --, I can't reset.  I tried just wiring in one (1) NC switch.  The reset action did not change.  Even if I had no limit switches, once I enable any axis + or -, even with or without (active low/high), the reset action is the same, can't reset.

Inivator
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 07:55:21 AM by inivator »