Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 01:11:37 AM

Author Topic: 7x10 Lathe Hobby cnc pro  (Read 3808 times)

7x10 Lathe Hobby cnc pro
« on: June 18, 2008, 09:14:01 PM »
  I have a 7x10  mini lathe with a hobby cnc pro board.  I am looking for a driver to load for this application in mach 3 .  I have everything configured as far as motor tuning and know the board works even jogged the motors with the keyboard.  I need to start to get the driver loaded for a  lathe I used one close for a mini mill but rather have one for my application.  I have a g code program I would like to try for test run but I am a little uncertain.   Thanks for anyones time in this matter

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: 7x10 Lathe Hobby cnc pro
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 04:33:51 AM »
I am uncertain what you mean by a "driver".

Mach 3, when you downloaded it provides samples screens for Mills and Lathes. I use both and they are perfectly adequate ( although not as colourful)

The computer plugs into the Hobby CNC Pro board using a 25 pin connector.
You say you have everything connected and have jogged the lathe with the computer keyboard.
If you cannot find the lathe screens, search the Mach 3 folder for a file called 1024.lset. This is the lathe set - and will control your lathe perfectly.
If you use the same pin settings that you have already used you should be ready to go. If you can't find the file, you can download it. It should be in the main Mach 3 folder, not in any sub-folders. You can call up different sets up in View/Load Screens

Your GCode program really wants to be in the Mach3/GCode folder. Start up Lathe, spend a little time on the manual page, setting up your axis and then go to the auto page and load your program. Go to the next page to run it.
A word of warning - find out where your GCode program was written from - by that I mean where is 0.0 in the program.
Normally for lathes, the z0 is the face of the workpiece, usually set by taking a light cut across the face and setting Z to 0.

The X axis is usually along the centre of the lathe. For this you need to bring your tool up to the work so it is just feathering the surface. Measure the diameter of the work and then enter EITHER the diameter or the radius into the DRO. (This depends on whether you are in Radius or Diameter Mode - this is clearly shown on the screen).

If your program is the same parameters, then click the run button and see what happens - ALTHOUGH it is sometimes wise to run the thing without the tool in the holder to see if it does what you expect. Have the mouse on the STOP or RESET button just in case!!!

Best of luck.

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
Re: 7x10 Lathe Hobby cnc pro
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 10:32:01 AM »
  This is more of info that I am looking for,  Thank you I will try this today and let you know.