Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 11:16:19 PM

Author Topic: SmoothStepper now available in Australia  (Read 9679 times)

SmoothStepper now available in Australia
« on: June 12, 2008, 09:22:37 PM »
Homann Designs is pleased to announce that the SmoothStepper has now arrived in Australia.

http://homanndesigns.com/store/index...products_id=51

So Jump the Queue....   ;D
The SmoothStepper is a motion control device that connects to the USB port of a computer. It accepts commands from a software package such as Mach3, and produce very high quality pulse trains that drive step & direction motors.

At this time the only software package it works with is Mach3, but a Software Development Kit (SDK) is planned, which will allow you to control the SmoothStepper with your own software.

Features;

* USB Replacement for 2 parallel ports
* Integrated into Mach3 via plug-in
* No external power supply necessary
* Generates pulse rates to 4MHz
* Up to 34 I/O lines
* USB cable supplied

Note: Overseas orders are also welcome.

Cheers,

Peter.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 09:26:40 PM by phomann »
----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com
Re: SmoothStepper now available in Australia
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 07:07:38 PM »
Hi Peter,

I got mine from here :) it arrived today...
Bob
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:10:07 PM »
Hi Crocky,

Great. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Peter.
Homann Designs
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 03:22:34 AM »
Have not used it in anger yet, I am designing a screen with screen 4 at present for my notebook then we will see how it goes.

So far it is working good but the screen is not finished :) probably know by the weekend....
Bob
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 11:46:11 PM »
Used it in anger this morning and it works great, I am very happy that I got it now :)

I have put up a drawing of my simple screen that I use with mach3 and a shuttlepro2, does everything I need :)
Bob

Offline allyd

•  24 24
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 07:29:14 AM »
Hi, for the last few days the Homann Designs website has been down. How long before it's back up as I'm keen to purchase a SS here in Aust.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 09:22:26 AM »
Hi, for the last few days the Homann Designs website has been down. How long before it's back up as I'm keen to purchase a SS here in Aust.

Hi,

Sorry for the site being down. It should be up within 24 hours I hope. I've had a problem with the search engines consuming all the bandwidth.

Cheers,

Peter.
Homann Designs
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 05:29:53 AM »
 Hi Peter,
 Iam tearing my hair out trying to find why Iam losing steps with my little proxxon mill.
 It is using the Hobby cnc pro board and 3 x 114oz/in steppers and running Mach 3.
 Maybe the biggest concern there is that Iam using an IBM T40 Laptop also.
 After cutting for a while,I return to 0 and it is normally .5mm off where it should be. Sometimes I can actually hear the motors stumble on startup.
 Do you think Smooth stepper would be helpfull with my lost steps issue?
 I also suffer from the steppers making a loud clunking noise when they are travelling at a set speed. Just like a flat spotted wheel.But various steppers I use do this noise even when not fitted to the mill.
 Regards Jason.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 06:08:35 AM »

Hi,

Sorry for the site being down. It should be up within 24 hours I hope. I've had a problem with the search engines consuming all the bandwidth.

Cheers,

Peter.

Hi,

Irt sounds like there is something on the PC that is needing CPU time which is interrupting the stepper pulse stream. It could be something like Quicktime, etc.

There is a guide on how to optimize a PC for Mach3. That may help. If that doesn't a SmoothStepper may  solve the problem as it does a lot of the trajectory work.

Cheers,

Peter.

Homann Designs

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 04:25:43 PM »
Jason, there could be a few different things going on. The 'clunking' sound you are hearing is a really good sign that your not getting a good, jitter free pulse stream. Laptops are typically not a good choice as a control computer as all the power saving stuff they put in them interferes with processor speed. There are a number of tricks you can try on a laptop but in my experience the results are usually not very good. I always try to sell folks a SmoothStepper with the systems I sell to prevent them having problems trying to get things running smoothly with a parallel port. On a laptop I would say that a SmoothStepper is mandatory.

I'm not sure how your system is set up (power supply type, voltage, stepper wiring, etc) and what type of speeds your trying to run. The HobbyCNC board is what I would refer to as an 'old school' design. Nothing wrong with it in general, but you just can't get the same performance as with a more modern design. Drivers like the Gecko have midband resonance compensation (adjustable), morphing microstepping (go from 10x microstepping to full steps as you increase the velocity), etc.

With your laptop I would suggest a SmoothStepper, if your in Oz then Peter is your guy. If your in the States or elsewhere I could set you up with one.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt