Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:52:23 AM

Author Topic: Routing Wood  (Read 78635 times)

Re: Routing Wood
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »
Tweakie,
  That was soft pine or spruce.
Here is more in apple. Hard stuff, little bit of burn, cheap router bit.
One normal V-Carve and one Flipped w/border.

Don't quite understand all of the "settings". Did you see a help file anywhere ?

Thanks again,
Russ
 :)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2012, 01:47:48 AM »
Hi Russ,

Looks like you are doing just fine without a help file  ;D ;D

Scott has said that F-Engrave is not yet perfect and I understand that the help file is still work in progress.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2012, 04:25:03 AM »
Hi Guys,

I must admit that I have never tried 'relief routing' before but seeing Russ's excellent work I just had to give it a try.

This is 270mm x 50mm and made from Old English Oak (using GCode produced with the free program 'F-Engrave' mentioned earlier). The tool path geometry is just excellent and the program is truly a credit to it's author.

Tweakie.

PEACE
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2012, 07:11:38 AM »
Very nice there Tweakie ! I will try to follow the progress of this fine SW, hope you will as well. The forum in your previous link is in a foreign tounge, did you see an English translation anywhere ? I don't really understand the DXF import, is it to do vector type files ?
Beautiful oak ! I did one also in quarter-sawn red oak with clear poly, came out nice.
Thanks again,
Russ

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2012, 08:06:41 AM »
Hi Russ,

Sorry, I use the Google Chrome browser which incorporates Google Translate and although it makes a pretty poor job with Hungarian I just get by (well almost). Incidentally, there is a lot of useful stuff on their main website http://hobbycncart.com/ and I am doing my best to populate the English speaking section.

There is not yet any help file for F-Engrave but this is a US product and most, if not all of the functions are described in the video's on this page http://home.comcast.net/~sskroch/Fengrave/fengrave.html  

The .dxf import function will enable routing of designs but it does not clear all the areas of the relief down to base level so a little hand finishing may be necessary to make a perfect job. It does, however, work very well and for a free software, I am not complaining.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2012, 08:15:37 AM »
I agree ... can't beat the price !
This will give some other SW a "run for their money".

Thank you very much Tweakie, will play with it over the weekend.
Hope to post an example. I wish I had your photographic skills ! Will have to work on that a bit.
Anxious to see more from you as well.

Have a great weekend,
Russ

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2012, 03:19:18 AM »
Well, I finally got around to VCarving this boat name into a piece of Teak.

Because the overall length is greater than my machine table it had to be completed in 3 stages but this is not as difficult to do as I had first thought, having previously practised on a piece of MDF.

Now the hard work begins - It has to be profile cut to a curved shape and the edges rebated, varnished and the lettering gold finished.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »
Hi Tweakie,
  That is one pretty chunk of Teak !
Did your shifts conveniently fall between the milled features ?
Or did you have to be extremely precise when doing the shifts ?
If precise, what method did you use ?
Be sure to show us the finished product !

Teak and Gold ....hmmmmm ... something tells me this is not for Bubba's Crawdad fishin' boat.

Russ

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2012, 01:08:17 AM »
Hi Russ,

Yes, fortunately for me, the shifts occurred between the wording and I was able to locate the same datum point at each shift.

Not sure if I can get a picture of the finished product, my part is just the VCarving - all the finishing work will now be done manually by an experienced woodworker. (I trust the final customer has plenty of cash because I can see this becoming one really expensive piece of bling).  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
I've been playing around with F-engrave, as inexperienced as I am, I think it's great. I started cutting signs into blue foam right away. I use the blue foam scaps because it's easy to cut and it's free. Some of it is left over from some jobs and I always stop and pick up pieces from along the road. Also, I'm still waiting for my proper routing tools to show up in the mail.
We need to start an F-engrave thread, maybe I will when i get some pictures. Where would be the best place to start that? I am having some problems with the bit cutting fine nd the plunge too deep for the out box. I need to write down the settings to see if I'm doing something different or I'm missing something. I've loaded some other true text fonts, some work and some don't..?? Oh well, I'll save it for the thread.
I love the free stuff that works, thanks Tweakie....again!