Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:05:37 PM

Author Topic: Changing Z feedrate during probe cycle  (Read 3340 times)

Changing Z feedrate during probe cycle
« on: May 29, 2008, 11:58:34 PM »
Hi,

I am in the process of writing a macro to do tool height probing and was wondering : when the G31 command has the Z axis moving down at probing feed rate, is it possible to set up an on screen button or keyboard keystroke  etc. to rapid move the Z axis. 

Because I am going to start the probe move from near max Z height, I will be waiting for ever and a day for the tool to reach the anticipated probe trip at the slow probing speed.

What I would like to do is to increase the speed of the Z axis manually with a momentary button etc.

Bruce

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Changing Z feedrate during probe cycle
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 11:29:05 AM »
This might sound stupid - but why not do it manually.

I often have this problem, with homing and a great variety of other things, where GCode must, of necessity, go slow. I tend to jog everything I can jog to within striking distance and then do what it is I want to do.

I understand what you mean - i.e. to write a macro that can do everything - that is one thing, but to write a macro that can be as quick as your brain is another.

Why not get to a certain point in your macro - include an M1 command - this will allow you to jog whatever you want to where you want, and then click "cycle start"
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 05:51:41 PM »
Thanks,

I have been mulling over similar proceedures as you have described overnight and came to the same conclusion. - (Still learning about G and M code)

On M6 start I will go to "My tool change position"
Change the tool by hand
M1 manually jog to near "tool height setting point"
Then do the G31

Bruce

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 12:47:47 PM »
You are into something different with a tool change.

There are DROs included on the Mill XML to insert a position for you M6 tool change - see page 5 (settings).
These are Machine Co-ordinates - since it is assumed you will always make a tool change at the same position.

A full video tutorial on writing a script for a tool change is included - look under "Scripting"
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.