Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 05:23:03 PM

Author Topic: Benny's Vac Forming machine (Work log)  (Read 5401 times)

Benny

Benny's Vac Forming machine (Work log)
« on: May 09, 2008, 08:59:51 PM »
While this machine is not CNC controlled.
Its uses moulds made via the CNC process.

See here for details http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57845
Re: Benny's Vac Forming machine (Work log)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 02:57:07 AM »
ynneb

The pump you show in the photo is a Blackmere 2" or 2 1/2"  Truck pump this pump was designed to pump fluids. The pump uses vanes to do the work and in its original state,running this pump dry would not be a good idea, however someone may have converted the vanes from a dura vane plastic to a carbon vane in which case it would work as a vacuum pump. The conversion would also have to have included some type of shaft seal.

Vane vacuum pumps have their limitations, in this case it would be both volume and vacuum. Volume because there are no published curves for this pump. Vacuum  as in the pump would be limited to +- 65 Kpa Gauge at sealevel because of the vane construction. Also the vanes in these type of pump wear over time and then a rebuild has to take place. Also these types of pumps generate quite a bit of heat.

Does the pump have a system that drips oil into the pump body to lubricate the vanes.
What is the pump speed.

I have a company that manufactures vacuum pumps www.hivaceng.com, if you need any help or have any question give me a shout hivaceng@mweb.co.za

Regards

Scott

Benny

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 05:00:45 AM »
Hey Scott, welcome to the forum and thanks for the pump information.
You are right when you mentioned the plastic vanes. I have put 1 table spoon of motor oil into it.
The motor driving it is 2800 rpm with about 2.5:1 reduction. I guess that means it is been driven at 1120 rpm.

I guess beggars cant be choosers, at least when its free.

The alternative I have considered is to evacuate oil from the surge tank thus causing a vacuum in it.
I have also considered an auto air conditioning pump.
Any other words of suggestions?

Since you mentioned its name I have been able to find this web site about it. http://www.tate.com/pumps/blackmer.htm

Is this pump of any comercial value? should I be selling it and buying other things instead?

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 04:04:26 PM »
Benny

Now have those Ozzy DEVO dates.

JULY
31 – Festival Hall, Melbourne

AUGUST
1 – Hordern Pavilion, Sydney
2 – Splendour in the Grass Festival, Byron Bay (SOLD OUT)
4 – Thebarton Theatre, Adelaide
6 – Metro City, Perth

Can't get you free tickets I doubt.   But it will be one hell of a show.

I'm flying out to Paris  on monday to see them.   I got on the guestlist somehow ;)

Anyway if you need vac forming tips do contact me, after making 500 or more of those Devo Energy DOmes I got the hang of it now ;)

Wayne....

Benny

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 09:16:20 PM »
Thanks Wayne for the heads up.
Its strange how they are playing at some small town like Byron bay, and yet they are not coming to Melbourne.

I think I will miss them this time as most of the concerts are still nearly 800 km away.
Yeh I will get some tips from you when I finish my machine. For sure.

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 09:33:27 PM »
Where is the festival Hall Melbourne then?

Benny

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 09:55:50 PM »
What a cretin, I didnt read that, just the August list.
Cool' then I will go.

Still want you to do your darnedest to get me some freebies though :)