Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:01:10 AM

Author Topic: How to link three G320 for fault protection  (Read 10701 times)

Re: How to link three G320 for fault protection
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 02:06:18 PM »
I just finished installing the E-stop switch so simply put the same termanial 5 either by putting +5v to it reset's it and grounding it fault's it out works perfect now i feel comfortable in running the machine on it's first test g-codes thanks guy's.

Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 04:34:43 PM »
armac
 Thanks for the clarification, I dont know anything about the G320's so was presuming when the title was asking about a fault protection I presumed this was a signal from the Gecko that indicated the drive had faulted.
Hood

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 05:28:49 AM »
Yes - pin 5 is normally at 5v for normal running. If it is taken to 0v then it shuts down the drive. If a fault occurs on the drive, it goes to 0v.

The problem is Mach 3 has no "two way" pins - i.e. those that work as inputs and outputs. So therefore you must wire all three Geckos together so that they shut each other down - with a lead , via a diode, to the input pin of Mach3, to tell the computer.

The problem is, is you have Mach 3 shutting down the drives, then it will also put a 0v signal into the input to Mach 3 telling it there is a fault - and, therefore, you will need some complicated logic to sort out the timing of the signals.

Let the Geckos look after themselves, I think.

As far as the 5v reset signal is concerned, the easiest way is to drive a small relay from one of the output pins - and have this put a 5v signal into the Gecko. This can be software driven from your reset button - or perhaps cycle start button -  on a Macro. It can be timed to put a 5 sec pulse, or whatever is required. At the end of the pulse, you can check the "fault" input pin and see if it has reset,(it will, whilst the 5v from the relay is present, not show a fault, but revert to 0v if there is still a fault on the Geckos)  and then return.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 03:29:07 AM »
I have created a circuit to deal with Gecko G320 power-up faults and reset requirements.  It solves all my problems by allowing the Campbell breakout board to power-down the Gecko power supply on an ESTOP condition, and it provides automatic Gecko start-up when the Mach3 RESET is pressed as well as servo fault detection using a Limit sense input.

The advantage of powering down the Gecko drives is a safety issue in case a Gecko fails and kicks on a servo motor when in an ESTOP condition.  I know, not likely, but I can imagine pawing around an ESTOPed machine and suddenly having a motor kick on, pinning me or worse.  With this circuit, you can kill the Gecko power supply when in ESTOP mode by breakout board relays, and automatically initiate Gecko servo driver power-up when the Mach3 RESET button is pressed.  Fault detection is then automatically enabled after start-up Gecko faults are removed.

I have attached a .PDF file with the circuit diagram and explanation.   :o

Happy and safe machining!
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 10:37:38 AM »
Hi.I see that this is an old topic but just what I need. For the Geckodrive g320x I can link all term 5s together. Do I also have to link all term 6 grounds?
Thanks

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2021, 03:46:23 PM »
It may be worth looking at this thread

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=35147.0
Without engineers the world stops