Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:27:58 PM

Author Topic: AC Servomotor/Drive Compatibility  (Read 3387 times)

AC Servomotor/Drive Compatibility
« on: April 16, 2008, 10:33:26 PM »
Hello All,
While searching eBay and other sources, I find gads of AC servo motors from various mfgrs. and gads of drives. But none of them are "matched sets" so to speak. Something inside tells me that all of these are proprietary to their own specific matched components, cables and all.
Is there any interchangeability among any of these ?
I've read in this forum of some folks buying AC servomotors and drives from eBay and am wondering if there is a mix and match list or how you go about selecting used/surplus components that will work together. Aside from the obvious V & A ratings of course.
Thanks much
RC
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 12:54:18 AM by Overloaded »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: AC Servomotor/Drive Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 02:11:04 AM »
First thing you need to find out is if they accept step/dir as an input. Then you need to find out what the drives wat to see on the motor, ie is it an encoder with Hall signals or a resolver. Once you know that you can go from there. It takes a fair bit of research to find out as most of the motor/drive manufacturers have been taken over at some point in their life and it takes a lot of digging to get the info. I have a fair bit of info downloaded here but I have tended to stick to Allen Bradley (also badged Electrocraft,  Giddings and Lewis,  Reliance)
Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 07:33:30 AM »
Sort of what I expected. A bit more than I should delv into with my limited experience and knoweledge. I'd probably end up with a bunch of stuff that wouldn't work together. Then there's that "caviat emptor" thing. Might be paying for scrap anyway.
Thanks again Hood,
RC

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 07:52:46 AM »
RC
 I have been there and made mistakes, good thing though is I have learned from them, well I hope I have. For instance I have just not long ago got big AC Servo for my spindle on the Beaver mill. It is 5KW or so but it had a resolver, I knew I had spare encoders that had Hall signals so I thought I could use it on the motor. Seemed to line up ok but sometimes when I was watching the back EMF and a hall signal it would be out, next time it would be right. Problem was the encoder was for a 6 pole motor, this one was a 4pole. I have just today however solved the problem, I bought a small motor that I knew was 4 pole and had Hall signals on the encoder, I have just fitted it and ligned it up and it seems good, will know for sure when I can hook it up to the drive but I dont think there will be a problem.

BTW sent you an email.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 09:39:33 AM »
Thanks Hood,
Perhaps I can avoid some of the pitfalls by learning from your experiences as well as any others who wish to contribute.

Replied to your email.

RC