Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:43:41 AM

Author Topic: FREE 2D CAD (Solid edge)  (Read 10674 times)

Offline Glenn

•  129 129
    • View Profile
Re: FREE 2D CAD (Solid edge)
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 07:01:49 PM »
Kristin D,
  I always love anticipating a package from ups/ usps!! It's like
Christmas when it  arrives! It sounds like you know way more about
computers/electronics than I,  and with this forums' assistance  I was 
able to assemble a router from bits and pieces and it almost works, I'm sure
yours will be up and running in no time!

Benny,

Solid edge works as a cad program and it converts nicely with a dxf file to LC (just like
you said it would). As a test I drew an outline using straight lines and fillets...no freehand
drawing, Lazy Cam still can't handle converting these into g-code.
 THANKS Benny for turning us on to this free CAD program! :)

Cheers,
  Glenn

Don't assume anything.....it'll make a Manager out of U and Me!

Benny

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 10:55:26 PM »
Glad it working for you.
Who knows, if it stays free, it may become our forum members standard.
We really should do a CNC on a budget chart, were people are can see the cheapest and most effective way to get in.

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
  • Take that you LazyCam, next stop the glue factory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 11:01:27 PM »
Benny,

Do you know this program well? I am trying to line up two DFX's (worm and worm gear) and not having much luck, there is supposed to be centerline option but darned if I can find it or how to use it if I do. I can send the file if you want so you can see what I am trying to do.

Kristin

Benny

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 11:06:34 PM »
Sorry Kristian, I have had 30 minutes using it. When you find the answer, post it here. :)
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 01:14:37 PM »
I like SolidEdge so far, I've been using it on a few small jobs over the last few weeks and I'll probably move over to it for good. Its a little sluggish to fire up, but I can live with that I guess.

Regarding the earlier post on positioning objects, here's how I do that. One thing about this package is its not quite as flexible as other package in allowing you to place the 0,0 origin of your drawing, but it can be done as discussed below.

I do my designs in the 2D model view as you are not constrained to working in a particular page size as you are in the other tabs. If you don't have the 2D model view as one of your page tabs there's a button you hit in one of the tool bars to generate it (can't remember exact name, has "model view" in it).

Then hit the Grid button. This will both turn grids on and show you the position of absolute zero in the model view at the intersection of the horiz. and vert. red lines.

You can now more easily move objects to place them where you want relative to 0,0 or each other.

Paul T.

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
  • Take that you LazyCam, next stop the glue factory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 04:23:29 PM »
Thanks Paul,

I also got a good response on the Solid Edge BBS from one of the Semiens crew. Part of my "problem" was I was using the wrong DP for one of the gears so the result I got was not as expected! With that cleared up and the snap to grid thing it looks like I may yet figure this out.

I've noticed the sluggish startup also, and I get a warning my virtual memory is low every time, I'm only running 256Megs of memory so that is probably why. What the heck were we thinking when we used to run DOS on a 286/2MB with a 10MB hard drive!

Over all I like it so far with limited time using it, it seems to be fairly intuitive unlike AutoCad and the clones. I would be interested in seeing some more folks here report in and share how they are using it and any hoops they need to jump through to get a drawing exported to generate code. I'm new to this whole DIY CNC thing so it's going to be a learning curve to say the least.

Kristin
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 01:43:46 PM »
"any hoops they need to jump through to get a drawing exported to generate code"

Exporting designs in .dfx format has worked fine for me going to both SheetCAM for 2.5D work and Rhino/RhinoCAM for 3D work.

Just do a "File Save As" and select the .dfx format. I would also suggest hitting the Advanced button and setting the specific format to the R12 version one, this version of the .dfx format gives you the best change of compatibility with other tools, it appears to remember this selection so you don't have to do it every time.

Keep in mind that the R12 version doesn't support splines (it converts polycurves to line segments) so if you need to export as splines you should use a later version.

Paul T.

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 04:09:06 PM »
I used to use Solid Edges 2d drafting, I found it much easier than Acad etc, the auto align things really helped to keep line parallel, they used to do a free 3d program as well.
The first time I used it I thought Autodesk will have to do something about their pricing now but people are still buying it, I'd not bother with programs like Solid edges available for free.

I now do a lot less 2d drawing so I use another program now that opens a lot faster, as you've found it's a little slugish when opened  :P

Steve