Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:33:10 PM

Author Topic: 1st timer...Mach 3 help  (Read 4289 times)

1st timer...Mach 3 help
« on: May 11, 2006, 08:28:56 AM »
hi

im starting a project to rebuild an old cnc lathe.  im a mechanical engineer, so i have little knowledge of electronics and such.

what im using is mach3 turn with Gecko 201's on each of the 2 axis along with the combo breakout board from campbell.

so far ive hooked up the steppers to the gecko's and breakout board to the pc.  ive done some jogging and adjusted the turning options to suit the threading on my axels.

i have some questions about the electrical side of this though. 

1. the Z-axis, when set up according to the instructions with campbell's board (active low), the z-limit starts blinking (limits are not connected yet) and the only way to resolve this is to set the signal to active high, contrary to the instructions of the breakout board.  x works fine with active low.  what could be going on here?

2.  The Z-axis/gecko is hooked into the Z outputs on the breakout board, but the LED board blinks on the A-axis when i jog Z.  what does this mean?

3.  There is a bit of clicking noise coming from the breakout board when jogging around.  is this bad?

Thanks for any help regarding these concerns of mine.  remember im new to this, and any answers in plain laguage are greatly appreciated.

-g

« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 08:37:25 AM by gaussian »
Re: 1st timer...Mach 3 help
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 03:49:56 PM »
1. Iis not a problem once you have a limit hooked up that may change state depending on what type of switch you have.
2. Your settings under porst and pins are not right
3. I think it is "OKay"...
Hope that helps
Brian

hi

im starting a project to rebuild an old cnc lathe.  im a mechanical engineer, so i have little knowledge of electronics and such.

what im using is mach3 turn with Gecko 201's on each of the 2 axis along with the combo breakout board from campbell.

so far ive hooked up the steppers to the gecko's and breakout board to the pc.  ive done some jogging and adjusted the turning options to suit the threading on my axels.

i have some questions about the electrical side of this though. 

1. the Z-axis, when set up according to the instructions with campbell's board (active low), the z-limit starts blinking (limits are not connected yet) and the only way to resolve this is to set the signal to active high, contrary to the instructions of the breakout board.  x works fine with active low.  what could be going on here?

2.  The Z-axis/gecko is hooked into the Z outputs on the breakout board, but the LED board blinks on the A-axis when i jog Z.  what does this mean?

3.  There is a bit of clicking noise coming from the breakout board when jogging around.  is this bad?

Thanks for any help regarding these concerns of mine.  remember im new to this, and any answers in plain laguage are greatly appreciated.

-g

Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 09:49:43 PM »
Have you hooked a gecko up to one of the outputs as well as the step and direction connection? Some crossed wiring maybe? Easy to do, I have 30 wires from my electrical box to the lathe and it's quite a job keeping it all in order. Sounds like a relay is being activated or something, I have just this same setup and there is no sound from the board at all, or from any of the electronics.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 05:37:39 AM »
on the gecko's ive hooked up the step, dir, and com from the breakout board.....all properly connected.  they are also connected to a power supply along with a load capacitor on each gecko.  from there i have wired them to the motors.

ive tuned the motors in mach3 and they sound good and have good speed and torque.

i have 8 wire  step motors, but ive only hooked up 4 wires so far just to see if it would work.  i'll be paralell connecting the rest of the wires on monday.  have to see if that will make any difference.

i'll also get the limit switches hooked up and see what happens with those.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 05:04:41 AM »
ok the clicking noise was caused by a bad printer cable.  changed the cable and the relays now light up as they should with no extra clicking noises.