Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:00:52 PM

Author Topic: New with BobCad-Cam and Bobart  (Read 5770 times)

New with BobCad-Cam and Bobart
« on: April 05, 2008, 04:41:25 AM »
Hi
I'm pretty new at BobCad and I need help. I bought BobCad-Cam V22 along with BobArt and Tutorials. The tutorials bounce around allot and finally on Disc 10 When it got to BobArt it only told you how to load a picture, emboss and vectorised, nothing on how to generate a g-code. So I clicked on Emboss Model and right clicked on Emboss from image and found the picture I wanted to carve. Well I got a nice looking Embossed Picture, but now I need to find out what to do next. Can anyone help me out? Bobcad Support only will help for 45 days and then you have to pay for support after that. Also they don't have a forum, and no toll free phone support. It is a nice program from the looks of it, but they do need to work on the support part of it.
I do appreciate any help.

Thanks

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: New with BobCad-Cam and Bobart
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 03:43:14 PM »
Hi, Tbyrd

I have BobCad-Cam V22 but no BobArt hear, Have you been able to Post any G-code with the std.Cad ?.

Under "Help About" what build are you using ?, New Build "946" is out v22.42.007_Update at.  http://www.bobcad.net/updates/

Do you have Mach3MillPst loaded and tried right click-ed on BobArt Tools in Menu ?.

I've PM-ed my phone #, Give me a call or PM your Phone # and I'll call if your in the US.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 03:50:24 PM by Chip »
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 06:28:35 PM »
Hey Chip
I finally got a g-code after fighting with it, I kept getting a pop up, saying values for top of part were higher than maximium z axis. so I went to where you set up rapid height at 0.1000 and set the surface at 0.000 and still got the pop up. so I went back and changed the values again, this time I set both to 0.1000 and then I got a g-code. When I posted the g-code to mach3 to run, it appeared to be ok but now I need to find the step overs to carve with a 60 degree Vbit.
 I did notice something strange had happened too. I made a Home program in notepad to home the machine and it was working great, until I posted the bobcad g-code. Now my home g-code is not working correctly, for example I have X and Y axis home at zero and Z axis home at 1.000, well now the X and Y works great now for the Z thats another story, it will home in 1 inch increments. What I mean is 1.000 is where Z axis is suppose to stop. well not no more, if it is at Z 0.500 and I put my Home g-code in Z is at at (0.500) then I run home g-code, now it goes to Z1.500. Z axis shot up to high by 1/2 inch. That was kind of strange and if I run my home g-code a second time it will raise Z axis another inch. I never had this problem before. Mach3 has been great for me, but I will fix the problem on that, but Bodcad I'm still learning it. Thanks for the information chip and you guy's have a great day. Thanks again.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 10:56:13 PM »
Hi, Tbyrd

Look at your BobCad G-code, It probably put you in Incremental Distance Mode G91, You need to type G90 in the MDI line or put G90 in the top of your home G-code to put you back in Absolute Distance Mode, I think that's what's going on.

In the top of all your G-code you'll want to setup or cancel previous G-codes and develop a habit/standard "Preamble" G-code to start-up your code with.

Review some of these, G90 abs G20 in mode G17 xy plane and G91 inc G21 mm mode for a start.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 12:02:25 AM »
  Thanks Chip you were on the money partner, BobCad placed a G91 at the Z axis.
You guy's are quick on your response here I like that. I went to the bobcad support and downloade a few pdf's on my other computer so I can read on one and turn back to the other and try it. You know if I read and do what it say's it actually works. I also found out to on the pdf's that I downloaded, it tells you to set the thickness of the material that you will be using. I for got all about that. Thanks again Chip for the help it did work.
Thanks you