Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:23:31 AM

Author Topic: resolver to digital  (Read 8294 times)

Re: resolver to digital
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 08:14:39 PM »
thank you for the advice. the next question is.Can this signal be split?What I mean is use only the +A+b index  to close in mach also

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 10:19:59 PM »
asparaguy,

I use the a+ & b+ inputs to the Galil. If You have a noisy (electrically) signal, then the complementary outputs will help considerably. On the Galil I wire the encoders to the main encoder and in the Galil plug-in configuration under "motor config" I make sure that both boxes are unchecked. That allows my encoder signals to feed directly back to Mach DRO's.
Please note, there are some areas where the Galil needs additional work in order to be fully functional under Mach. Several people are actively working to improve the plugin to round out those remaining features, so that we can all use Mach fully. Mach and Galil rock!

Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 12:05:06 AM »
You have regular quadrature encoders that are the same standard as today.   

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 05:57:40 AM »
Hi there, I thought I would add my two cents here...
the Galil will accept quadrature differential inputs from an encoder....has nothing to do with mach3....you are supposed to be able to have dual encoders with the galil...depending on which one...and as I understand it the secondary...usually linear encoder does not come into play until the galil has used the motor encoder to make the move, then the secondary encoders makes sure you are there...supposed to be good if you have backlash in your system...I have not tried this, but I have used single encoders on a VMC with the encoders on the motors and a lathe where I replaced the resolver/tachs with encoders on the ends of the leadscrews...(hardinge hnc)
I think I would replace your resolvers If I were you...you could look at automationdirect.com for encoders the seem pretty cheap....the ones I got for the Lathe were $70 or so each....hope this helps....Roo
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 04:10:16 PM »
Thanks for the help guys .This is starting to look like a good plan. the Galil site states  (the newer controllers have added commands for counting position) What newer is I dont know.
This is for losing steps as I read but Im still two or three months off real start.I live in northern MN, waiting for snow to melt and building a garage this machine will fit in comes first.  Al
Dual encoders Galil
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 10:08:57 PM »
I have a 4080 galil controller and am very happy with it. My mill knee is controlled in dual loop
mode it is called in Galil speak DV. The primary encoder( a glass scale) is connected as the normal feedback.
An additional encoder the motor is also in the control loop. The problem I am having is the DRO in
Mach3 seems to display the aux encoder instead of the main encoder. I have an independent DRO that
shows the inherent  back lash of a typical system. This is why I know that Mach3 is displaying motor counts and
not true scale counts. I don't know if this is a Galil configuration problem or mach 3 encoder assignment problem.
I am leaning towards Mach 3 because independent  galil moves are really repeatable vial the scale DRO.
ANY HELP?

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 10:25:54 PM »
This is a somewhat confusing setup to be sure. With Galil, you need to have the position encoder connected to the main encoder input and the auxiliary or motor encoder connected to the auxiliary encoder input. You will then need to make sure that the Galil is permanently in DV mode. You can do this via a burned in program with #AUTO as the first line, or use the notify outputs in the Plugin to be sure that the Galil DL survives a reset. You will also need to redo the axis tuning as the encoder counts have likely changed with the dual loop setup. When all is set up properly, You will have a very smooth system with excellent positioning.
Regards,
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.