Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 04:55:13 AM

Author Topic: MAXNC 10 OL Wave Drive - problem using 2nd port for 4th axis  (Read 5469 times)

MAXNC 10 OL Wave Drive - problem using 2nd port for 4th axis
« on: October 29, 2007, 06:16:13 PM »
Hi,

I am a model engineer and a CNC newbie and have just acquired a MAXNC 10 open loop mill. It is the earlier version with wave drive. It also has a 4th axis rotary table. The system as purchased was configured and working OK with MAXNX DX DOS software. The 4th axis is driven from a separate parallel port and this can also control the spindle motor relay. However, I wanted to use it in a Windows XP environment and after much research and rave reviews, decided to try the Mach 3 software.

I have downloaded and installed Mach 3 R2.36. I have watched the setup tutorial, carried out drive test successfully and read the very useful MAXNC OL configuration document. I have now got the X, Y and Z axis working via the jog function. However, I now have some problems that I just do not understand!!!

The 2nd parallel port in on a PCI card that uses ITE chip set. I have successfully installed the drivers and tested the port on a printer OK (LPT2). I have found the address (0AF0) and used this in the Mach 3 config and enable port #2 but I can not get Mach 3 to do anything on the second port! This is what I have found:

1. X, Y, Z work fine on LPT1.

2. Plugging in the 4th A axis controller into LPT1 allows me to successfully drive the rotary table using the Z axis jog keys. I assume, therefore, the controller is OK and that the pin assignment for A axis is the same as Z axis but obviously on the other port.

3. Plugging the X, Y, Z axis controller in LPT2 produces no response when changing the motor drive config (Motor Outputs table) to port 2 in Mach 3.

4. What is really strange is that changing the port number in the Motor Outputs table has no effect! It always appears to map to LPT1 irrespective of the number you enter for 'Step Port' and 'Dir Port'.

5. I can not get the 4th axis (4+ and 4-) button on the Jog screen to control anything. Do they map to the A axis in the Motor Outputs setup table? Setting up the A axis to control a known working axis (same pin assignments) has no effect. Do you have to tell the programme what the 4th axis is?

Interestingly, I have just noticed that if you look at the 'Ports Setup and Axis Selection' screen, it implies <port set option boxes> OR <MAX NC selection boxes>. The word 'OR' is in the middle of the screen between the boxes. This would imply you can have one or the other?

If this is the case, can the Wave Drive settings be recreated with other parameters so I can use 2 ports? Or is there another way around it?

Sorry for all the questions but I am now confused. Mach 3 looks excellent and I am looking forward to getting it all working. Am I doing something silly? Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

DrBios.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: MAXNC 10 OL Wave Drive - problem using 2nd port for 4th axis
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 01:28:08 AM »
DrBios

I have done some more research and now understand that the MAXNC Wave Drive configuration is fixed and mapped to Port 1. It also means all the pins are used on LPT1 as each axis needs 4 connections for the Wave Drive.

Question is; is there a way of setting up the 4th axis on Port 2?

Has anyone successfully used a 4th axis on MAXNC Wave Drive machine using Mach software?

Thanks for your help.

DrB.

Deleted by mistake, Well I selected Cancel the Delete, So much for the Cancel, It Doesn't Work.

Sorry-about that, Chip
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 01:35:03 AM by afn09556 »

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 01:39:06 AM »
Hi, DrB

Don't now, Assign A axis to Port 2 pin's 2-9 in Motor Outputs, Give it a try, Wont hurt anything.

Hopefully someone will post a for-sure comment.

Thanks, Chip
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 03:22:51 PM »
ancient pc stuff  windows generally does not like different drivers for the same type of devices. try generic drivers.also avoid the first pci slot it is designed more for a disk drive and cause conflicts with some devices.It doesnt cost anything to try  Al