Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:40:41 AM

Author Topic: z gauge block not offsetting??  (Read 3409 times)

z gauge block not offsetting??
« on: March 10, 2008, 12:51:56 PM »
hello ive got a taig mill i converted to cnc works great !!! i need to start doing tool changes but i cant seem to get the z gauge block  to offset?? i have a 2 inch lighted enco tool setter gauge block, i set up for a 2 in block in mach i move the every thing over to zero  and ref all axis then i put the gauge in and jog to hit the gauge  go to the offset screen and and hit the set z/ref button i see it put the number in the offset screen to the right but when i hit cycle start it just starts cutting 2in above the work?? so its not applying the z offset what am i doing wrong??

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: z gauge block not offsetting??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 04:15:37 PM »
I think you will be running the mill in Machine Co-ordinates - which does not take into account your offset of 2 ins.

I have just tried setting the Z offset on the offsets page - it does this correctly. If you then go back to the Midi Alt 2 Page, make sure that Machine Co-ords is not flashing. You must run the program with offsets activated.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 08:55:40 PM »
thank you for the reply but i tryed it both ways its just not offsetting??

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
I think if you look at the offset page on Mill - I take it that is what you are using - then (although I haven't used it myself) it seems that the settings you put in on this page are transferred to the active work offset - G54 to G59.

Do you then need to select this work offset to bring these into play ???.

Try (on the offsets page) selecting say G57, setting your offsets, then before you press cycle start, type in manually " G57 ". I would think it is set up this way so that you can put in several offsets for a program all at once, and select them as you need them.

If you try setting up some offsets on this page, then check with the fixtures table under "Config" you will see they are transferred.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.