Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:34:56 PM

Author Topic: THC on/off button not working  (Read 10444 times)

THC on/off button not working
« on: May 10, 2008, 09:45:15 PM »
Using Mach3 Plasma, I can only turn the THC on/off before the first reset. In other words, When I start mach the reset button is flashing. THC is off by default. If I click the THC button first it turns on (green) but after I click the reset button the TCH button stops working. The THC function works, but I have to restart Mach every time I want to turn it on or off.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: THC on/off button not working
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 04:29:59 PM »
Hi, Fiero

Are you saying you need to put Mach in E-stop/reset flashing or close Mach down and start it backup again ?

Are you using an Enable pin, May need to change the Active Low state.

More info would help, Sorry you fel through the cracks with no response till now.

Chip 
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 11:46:24 PM »
Chip,
To clarify, I'm talking about the THC On/Off button on the Mach3 Plasma main screen. The only time I can turn it on/off is right after mach is started up before I ever click the reset button to stop it flashing. After I have clicked the reset button the THC stays in whatever state it is in and if I want to turn it on/off I need to close and restart Mach.  Also, the toch on/off button does not work, but I haven't played with that one much.

About my system, I'm using a home-made arc voltage sensing THC with up, down, and arc good outputs. The THC hardware is always on and it's outputs active when the machine is on. I'm running Mach3 Plasma v2.63. Under ports and pins>inputs I have "THC On" input connected to the arc good signal from the THC, as well as the up/down inputs connected to the corresponding outputs from the THC. I use Sheetcam with the THC300 post processor to generate the G code. The THC works fine when the THC button is lit, and the machine will not move until it gets the arc good signal, so I'm fairly certain those inputs are set up correctly. You mentioned an enable pin? Would that be the "THC On" input? Maybe I'm using that input incorrectly.

Thanks for your time.
Jon
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 11:48:02 PM by Fiero Addiction »

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 03:27:52 PM »
Hi, Jon

Edit: First try changing the Active Low State for Output 2, That could be it, But from what you've stated it's working correct with your Posted G-code  on & off ?

Never seen a button work with the Reset Flashing on startup, or you saying, If I don't use the button, It works after Reset with your Loaded G-code File. ?

Using ver.R3.041 hear, Have a Plasma cutter and wanting to hook it up, Interested in your home-made arc voltage sensing THC, You mentioned.

Hears a screen set that I added a Torch ON/OFF Button on the Diag. and MDI Screen's, You can Edit the code in this button with, Operator, Edit Button

Script, In Mach, Its setup now to turn Output 2 on/off.

The button works hear fine, But I'm not using ver 2.63. Give it a Try, Let me now.

Thanks, Chip

Do you use Skype or live in the US CA, PM your Phone #
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 01:21:46 PM by Chip »

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 01:28:24 PM »
Hi, Jon

On the Enable question, Maybe use an Enable Output to turn on the Plasma or Hight Control.

Chip
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 06:28:02 PM »
Chip,
I haven't had a chance to do anything further. I'm waiting for some new plasma nozzles, I went thru a lot of them learning how all the settings work.

I might load V3.xx just to see how it works. I actually have two PCs set up at the machine already from doing some troubleshooting, I can load the latest version on one of them.

I made the THC based on Tom Caudle's design that was included in the Mach2 user manual. I believe the schematic is the basis of what has now become the THC300. I made changes to allow the desired arc voltage to be preset before starting the cut, as well as some minor changes to interface my Esab plasma cutter. I've used it on two different plasma cutters now and it works pretty well.

I'm ok with how all my inputs and outputs are working, I just with I could toggle THC on/off without shutting down Mach. I'm still very new at this, but I think there is a way to use G code to toggle THC on/off? I don't know if that has the same effect as pushing the on/off button on the screen, or if it just enables/disables the Z movement.

I will send you a PM.

Jon

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 07:13:54 PM »
Hi, Jon

Thanks for pointing out the Diag. location, I remembered seeing one but couldn't remember where.

Torch On/Off and  M3, M5, On/OFF in your G-code use "Output 2" in Mach as default output(changeable).

Have a Miller 2051 hear, Just need to set it up on our IR water jet cutter I converted to Mach.

Thanks, Chip

Chip