Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:07:59 PM

Author Topic: Discussion of trying to find a "best Practice" list for screen design  (Read 3537 times)

I think we should have a discussion to decide if there are benefits of certain screen design philosophies compared to others.  A beginning few possabilities come to mind:

1)  Is there an advantage to a "modal" design (like Mach Lathe, or the mill one I posted) over an all-in-one design?  Is an all-in-one design the way to go?

2)  Are square buttons advantageous over rectangular ones.  Are other shapes beneficial?

3)  Are graphic images on buttons superior to text?

4)  Is there an optimal list (or maximum number) of desirebale screens.

5)  Is there an advantage of using certain colors and backgrounds to increase contrast and ease of use.

6)  Is is important to maintain consistant formats and locations of functions from screen to screen?

7)  What are the important functions to include on each tool's screen set (plasma, mill, router, etc.)?

There are probably many other factors which I have not thought of, but I think the above might be enough to start a conversation concerning screen layout practices.

Once we've decided what makes the most sense, then the best way to approach creating screens to implement these practices can be decided (and maybe assisted by Art if required?).

Regards,
Jeff
Hi Jeff;

I'm new to the forum so I'll limit my response to those items for which I have a definite opinion.

3)  Are graphic images on buttons superior to text?

No. Icons are cryptic. And since they are not universal it is difficult to remember them from one program to the next.

6)  Is is important to maintain consistant formats and locations of functions from screen to screen?

Yes. I remember the early Bridgeport DX32 control where each screen seemed like a different progam. One screen used esc to get you back to the previous screen. Another screen used F1 to go back. Another used enter (figure that one out).  Put items in the same place on each screen and make the keys do the same in each screen. You can use a different colored header (or border) on each screen to readily tell them apart.

How about the "universal symbols" used on a tape teck (with small text under them as a reminder) for the appropriate commands.  These are international and generally understood by anyone who has used a VCR, etc.  Not pretty though :-(

Jeff