Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:19:23 AM

Author Topic: Mach software to label printer?  (Read 2706 times)

Mach software to label printer?
« on: February 04, 2008, 01:20:43 PM »
I'd like to print a label for each piece I'm cutting.  Is it possible to run a label printer from the Mach software?

Thanks.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Mach software to label printer?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 07:40:05 AM »
Do you mean engrave a label on each part - which I have seen done at my local CNC shop, or merely print a label on a printer.

Funnily enough - the engraving will be the easiest - becasue my printer port runs my CNC
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 12:18:44 PM »
No, I need to print a small label for each piece.  We are cutting wood studs and truss components.  No time to engrave with a router or burn or brand.  We need to print a small tag that can get stapled to teh end of each piece.  I'd love for it to happen at the same time as the cut, but if I have to I can preprint the labels from other software.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 09:48:13 AM »
Are you wanting to print one label each time a G-Code program is run or one label for each individual part that may be cut in a given G-Code program? I would think this could be done by inserting a macro call before the section of G-code that cuts a given part. Making the macro communicate with what program is driving your printer is the tricky part. Can you provide some more details on the type of printer you would like to use and what you need to print on the label? You would need an external program to receive a signal (label code#) from the macro and then look up the correct text to print and send it to the printer. If you want drop me a PM with your contact info and I'll see if I can help you out.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt