Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:17:42 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 tool offset question  (Read 12044 times)

Mach 3 tool offset question
« on: April 26, 2006, 09:26:55 PM »
I'm still learning just the basic features so sorry for such a newbie question. I tried searching and could not find info on it.

Can I set the tool info such as the tool diameter for any gcode file I load? In otherwords, if I set the tool diameter in Mach 3 and then load a gcode file, will it keep the setting I have set in Mach 3 no matter whats set in the gcode?

And last, if my tool diameter is .25 inches (just an example) and I actually set it to .40, then whatever I cut out will be offset bigger by .15 inches? Can I change the diameter to make it cut just a tad more out from the toolpath line?

Thanks!

Warren
Re: Mach 3 tool offset question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 11:18:26 PM »
The path is offset for the tool DIA in the Cam software OR you can use cutter comp (G41 G42) To start off use some Cam software to get you feet wet
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 08:34:35 AM »
I was thinking it was best to do it in the cam program. I use Sheetcam which can be set there. But the reason I was wondering if I can do it in Mach 3 is because I wrote my own program that generates gcode and I need to offset it now after the gcode has been created.  So thats why I was hoping to set the tool diameter in Mach 3 to adjust it.  Can I still do it in Mach 3 as well?

Warren

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 11:54:30 AM »
I use tool diameter offsets a lot in my enviroment which is production.

But I agree that for a start let your cam package handle it just to get used to running a machine.

The reason Use them is I dont want to have to re-post the whole prog when I find a cutter is cutting under or oversize beacuse of wear/regrind etc etc.

On the other hand all 3D work I do is compensated in cam.   Comp is rarely applicable for this type of toolpath.

Also no matter what type of work I'm doing tool length offsets ALWAYS apply.

Wayne...