Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 03:18:12 PM

Author Topic: How I can expand I/O?  (Read 2704 times)

How I can expand I/O?
« on: January 16, 2008, 04:17:18 PM »
Hi all! Hope everyone is doing well.
I am a new user for mach 3.
I would like connect a 3 axes mill machine with AC servo drives to Mach 3.
I have a specially designed I/O card with 32 input pins and 32 output pins.
How I can use this card and connect all I/O signals and encoders to this card?
Thanks in advance for any help!!

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: How I can expand I/O?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 06:25:28 AM »
when you say you have a specially designed card with 32 inputs and outputs - what do you mean ??

Is this a card that sits inside your computer and connects directly to the  computer bus ???  is it one of the various printer port extensions one can buy - or what.

If it is a standard input output card, you can specify this on the ports and pins page of Mach 3, and show it's base address.  This would become PORT 2.

If you understand what I mean so far, I suggest you connect the card to the computer (DO NOT CONNECT IT TO YOUR MILLER). If you already have a printer port lead and a breakout board, connect that as well.

You can then set up your computer as though it was running your miller, and test and check all the various inputs and outputs. Mach 3 will open as the control panel for a milling machine, without having a machine attached. All the features work and all can be tested.

You should be able to check all your outputs by specifying then on the ports and pins page as M3 or M4 or coolant on etc and see if you get an output when you for example, turn on the spindle or switch on the coolant.

You can test all the inputs by setting them up as limit switches (one by one) and testing the inputs lights up if you short the wire to ground.

Once you have gained experience doing this, you should then be able to wire up you miller to inputs and outputs. All the various inputs and outputs you need to control Mach3 are specified in Ports and Pins. What you need to do is marry them up with your inputs and outputs.

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.