Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:37:41 AM

Author Topic: New Plugin Available - XBox360 Controller  (Read 39186 times)

Offline Leed3

•  162 162
    • View Profile
Re: New Plugin Available - XBox360 Controller
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 03:39:19 PM »
Hi

Go to message number 90496 on the Yahoo board. It explains the problem with 3.040 and 3.041. I will try and find out what is going on with the pointers and try to adjust the XBox360 controlller code to compensate.  But, it will take a couple of days.  I'll get back to you as soon as I can. 

Version 2.63 should have worked.  That is what I tested it on.  You must have received an update from Microsoft or added (or removed) some program.  Have you done anything with the Microsoft SDK  or DirectX as far as loading or unloading a new one?  Let me know what changes may have occurred between the time it was working and when it quit working. I need that info to help figure out what is happening.

Thanks
Lee
-----------------------------------------------
Hi Lee

I was using R2.63. I have upgraded to 3.041 as suggested but problem still persists.

Liam

Offline BigZ

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 12:30:33 PM »
To get the controller working I was using MACH3 V2.63 with Xbox360_32Eng.exe and Nov2007 DirectX SDK files installed. All worked OK.

The next day it still worked just I reconfigured the buttons to suit and everything worked fine.

On the third day I recieved the error message on startup. My only file change was to delete the plugin file after the error. Mach then started up as normal. Since then I upgraded to 3.041 added the plugin ande recieved the same error on startup.

Lee I appreciate the time your taking on this.

I have a Xbox messenger on order . So will let you know the results(testing it on the home PC)

Offline BigZ

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 08:31:45 PM »
Lee have managed to replicate the problem when transferring my XML file from the machines computer to the home PC.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 08:38:38 PM by BigZ »

Offline Leed3

•  162 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 12:07:57 AM »
Hi BigZ,

Your XML file does not look right.  I think that maybe you copied it from a very old version of Mach into the current version.  Let me suggest a couple of things.

1. Write down all your settings and then save the XML file. Use the new Mach3Mill.xml (copy it and rename it to Mach3Milliam.xml. Then redo your settings from inside Mach 3.

2. You can go to the following Microsoft link and download the free XML Notepad if you want:

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=72D6AA49-787D-4118-BA5F-4F30FE913628&displaylang=en

3. You can use the XML Notepad to see the things that are different between your XML and the new Mach3Mill.xml

4.  If possible, you should uninstall the files that were installed with Xbox360_32Eng.exe if you are using XP with Service Pak 2.  A better approach is to simply hook up the XBox controller and let Windows see a new device and then ask if it can search the Internet for the right drivers.   It will then go to Microsoft's site and download just the files it needs for the Controller. They are slightly different from the files inside XBox360_32Eng.exe.   That file was written sometime ago and has some problems.  Microsoft should have replaced it with a new version.  When it is right, you will see "Game Controllers" in the Control Panel.  When you open the Control Panel, you will see "Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)" and status "OK".  If you click on "Properties", you will see a test window wher you can test the various buttons.

Once you have taken care of the above, I think you will be fine.

Let me know how it goes.
Lee

Offline BigZ

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 03:50:53 PM »
Thanks for your time Lee. I will give that a go.

I bought a chatpad frm ebay. Luckly I bought it cheap as Microsoft hasn't released a driver even though it advertised as being Xbox and PC compatable.

Liam

Offline BigZ

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 09:13:15 AM »
Good news. I am back up and running after following your advice. Thanks Lee.

I did notice that if I have duplicate commands on different sticks and conflict the the command, I end up with the same error.

I have noticed though when jogging with one axis the jog speed is 1/2 of max s ther a way of altering this. I do have my jog speed set at 100%?

Many thanks Liam

Offline Perfo

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 02:34:06 AM »
This may be a silly question but is the Xbox 360 controler simply a USB device ?  I have a few controllers for the older Xbox and found that these could be converted to USB simply by soldering a USB cable on it (instead of the strange plug it comes with). Would the old Xbox controllers work with this plug in ?

Offline Leed3

•  162 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 11:54:52 AM »
I am working on a new version of the controller and testing it now. It should be ready to give to Artsoft today or tomorrow.  It includes lots of new features.

When a USB controller is plugged in Windows recognizes it based upon ProductID and VendorID.  If you go into the Device Manager in Windows and check "Human Interface Devices" and then pick each on and look at driver details. If you see one that has a VID of _045 (Microsoft) and a PID such as 028 then that is a start. If you go to the Control Panel and open "Game Controllers" and see the controller then select Properties and test it. If if works then everything should be fine. If these two tests are okay then let me know what the PID is. If it is not in the list in the controller, then I'll add it and send you a modified version.  If you can get it to me today, I'll add the number in the version going out shortly.

Lee

Offline Perfo

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 03:12:48 PM »
Ok I'll go find one of my xbox controller and convert it. If all goes well I'll be back in 10 minutes with the required PId. Thanks

Offline Perfo

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 04:04:03 PM »
ok a bit more than 10 minutes..i hadn't factored in Vista in the equation... anyway it appears to be running fine in vista now and the numbers are
USB\VID_045E&PID_0202&REV_0100
USB\VID_045E&PID_0202