Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 06:15:38 AM

Author Topic: Newbie Can't Get Files into Mach  (Read 4225 times)

Offline PSG

•  21 21
    • View Profile
Newbie Can't Get Files into Mach
« on: August 04, 2007, 11:19:05 AM »
I am new to the world of CNC and could use some help to develop a reliable way to get usable files into Mach 2 or 3. The machine and the Mach interface work fine. My problem seems to be from LazyCam to the demo version of Mach. The software used to create and generate the DXF and files is Corel Draw X3. The DXF files have been exported as AutoCad 2004 files.

When opening/importing files to LazyCam, the preview looks fine. When the g-code is generated and opened in Mach, I get nothing that even resembles what I was able to see in LazyCam. Reading the g-code in Mach, although I am no expert, it is very obvious that a good number of the coordinates/lines are missing. I originally that this was due to trying to start with a somewhat complex 2D file that was just too many lines (and too many arcs) of G-code for the Mach 2 demo. I also that that the problem was possibly related to the file being an incorrect scale that was out limits. That is definitely not the case. I then tried some simple files (square, circle, triangle, all separate and combined) , and it still seems to be a hit or miss situation when it is converted to g-code.

I presumed that because I was able to preview the file in LazyCam, that the DXF file had no issue with the original DXF from Corel. Just to be sure and eliminate any possibility of a DXF issue, I did use the DXF converters, which changed nothing, regardless of which version of DXF I used. I do not have AutoCad loaded on the machine, although I know I can purchase an older version of r12 or r13, if it gives better assurances.

Using Mach's jog controls, the machine works properly and I am confident with the Mach Controller interface.

The current budget does not allow for the investment of thousands in software, but I do not mind investing a little bit into some software to start. I also have SignLab from Cadlink, which can generate NC files specifically for Mach (Cadlink recommends to keep using the Mach interface), but that method did not work either, and I am not even concentrating on that, for the sake of simplicity and minimizing confusion. I also have no problem purchasing the Mach license, if this is related to the "demo".

Any help from the much more seasoned people here will be greatly appreciated. I just want to have a reliable way to get g-code to Mach.

In advance - Thank you.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Can't Get Files into Mach
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 09:08:48 PM »
Hi, PSG

Post your DXF File.

Thanks, Chip

Offline PSG

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 02:17:08 PM »
Please accept my apologies for taking so long to reply.

I have attached the DXF, and even the TAP. This file seems to be complex, but i still get the same issue with simple files, and even if I were to break this up into individual part files.

I truly believe that is a user-error issue. The procedure that I have been following is as follows:

- Make file in Corel
- Export file to DXF (2000 and earlier)
- Import DXF into LC
- Set zed depth (using equal depth for all layers until I become more proficient)
- Export/Post G-code (TAP file)
- Open Mach and open TAP file

The people that I know with CNC machines are only familiar with the commercial software and commercial machines. This makes them very reluctant to offer any kind of advise, but I would would much rather cut my teeth on this homebuilt machine than spend many thousands on a commercial unit. Bobo (me) just can't seem to get it.

Also, maybe off topic, what is a "post processor"?

Thank you in advance for all you help.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 02:34:45 PM by PSG »

Online Graham Waterworth

•  2,671 2,671
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 07:20:26 PM »
Hi,

I have had a look at your files and the DXF files are a bit odd, I think you have output it as splines and LC will not work with splines, output line segments and all should be well. I have converted them and run some code off them, here they are for you to try out.

Graham.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 07:26:21 PM by Graham Waterworth »
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 12:35:24 PM »
Hello Graham,
I have AutoCad LT 98. I made some drawings that contain splines.
Can you tell me if there is a way to convert a spline into a polyline..... or whatever LCam needs instead of a spline ?
Or is it that you just cannot draw splines at all ?
Thanks,
RC

WOAH..Never mind for now, boatload of info found with spline search. (must have spelt it rong the furst time)
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 01:08:38 PM by Overloaded »