Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:08:05 AM

Author Topic: Idea for Z-tooling offset calibration  (Read 3031 times)

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Idea for Z-tooling offset calibration
« on: January 02, 2008, 03:08:13 PM »
I've seen various threads relating to various form of 'touch' blocks to zero the tool to during tool changes. While looking through the latest Enco sles catalog today I noticed this: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=366&PMITEM=RP308-0391, left side of page the Fowler depth setter. It takes two AAA batteries and lights up when the tool touches it. Makes me wonder if it could be modified to drive an input in Mach3, at less than $50 it would be a good solution for mills where manual tool changes are the norm as it would sort of semi-automate the process (with the right tool change macro or course).
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for Z-tooling offset calibration
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 03:19:44 PM »
I would say the biggest problem with that is there doesnt seem to be any give in it, by the time Mach touched off it you would have it full of dings and if you use carbide cutters there wouldnt many whole ones in your collection ;) Probably the best idea would be to make something up like others have out of micro switches or if you wanted deadly accurate one make up a plunger that goes through an optical switch.

Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for Z-tooling offset calibration
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 05:44:57 PM »
Hey Jeff, I use a piece of copper clad with a wire soldered to it and it works great.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!