Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 06:18:18 PM

Author Topic: limit switches on emco compact 5 pc.  (Read 5296 times)

limit switches on emco compact 5 pc.
« on: December 21, 2007, 02:00:16 PM »
hello all, i've had some time to carry on fitting the emco compact 5 pc lathe with mach3. ive fitted mechanical limit switches to the axis. On the X axis i have used 2 switches, one for home and X- limit combined, and one for the X+ limit.  And then one for Z - limit & home combined.  So 3 switches in all.  I will use two inputs into mach 3 as i want the two axes to reference at the same time with no problems, both are braided screened cable etc.  pics later,.  i'm ready to hook upto mach3, well..  nearly!, i dont know how to connect them inside of the back of the emco compact 5 so as not to blow anything up!, ive basically worked my way through the mach3 turn manual on the limit switch section, and intend to connect the two X axis switches in series, and the Z axes just normally etc.   I need some answers perhaps there is someone who can help me through.   Where do i get the +5v from?    once I have +5v supply, i run that through the simple circuit as detailed in the manual / resistor etc, but then  how do i connect into the emco's breakout board.. ? thanks in advance.. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 02:02:56 PM by hutchison »
Re: limit switches on emco compact 5 pc.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 03:21:02 PM »
i've found a way to hook up the limit switches now, i'll use a parrallel interface card between 2 sections of db25 cable etc, i can then hook into the pins via the interface card, opto isolated aswell.  here is the hardware fitted after a few days fiddling.   hopefully the card will work a treat when it comes, and possibly will drive my dc motor & controller also, its the C1 from cnc4pc. Ive made adjustable chip gaurds for the Z adjustable stop, and fixed for the X axis.   The Z home is adjustable plenty so much so I can use different chucks and set limit, the gaurd also overlaps which will be good for combating chips flying onto bed and stop at the home position.   I'm only using 3 limits, i cant see a need for Z+ limit on this  machine so i've left it out.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 03:25:56 PM by hutchison »

ynneb

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 03:32:04 AM »
That machine makes me quite envious. :)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 01:41:42 PM »
well i've a way to go yet before its done, suds/spindle motor.   I'm toying with an auto type chuck aswell, will there be any time to machine?  :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:44:31 PM by hutchison »