Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:02:52 PM

Author Topic: Driver Test- Missing Vectors  (Read 4587 times)

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
Driver Test- Missing Vectors
« on: December 19, 2007, 07:48:39 AM »
Trying to setup my Thinkpad to run my newly built mill. It's an R40. 2 GHz with 512 MB ram.
The driver test works fine in 25,000 freq mode, but when I try the 35,000, I get an error that reads "Could not locate missing Vectors."
The next time I try the driver test, it runs on 25,000 frequency.
I tried the special driver with the same results.
Will I be forced to just use the 25,000 freq mode? Is the cpu too slow to go any faster? I did a few searches and saw this a couple times, but the questions on those threads were left unanswered. Anyone have any ideas.
It won't be the worst thing to run it slower for the mill, but just really curious about it.
Thanks a bunch.
Lee

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Driver Test- Missing Vectors
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 11:28:13 AM »
Have you tried the optimisation steps?
 Also have a look at your power settings in the control panel and set it to a desktop computer, always on.
Hood

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 12:29:38 PM »
Thanks Hood.
I did optomize it and tried it again. It didn't help it any. One part of the Opto file that I could not implement was the Optomize in registry portion.
It was telling me the file that I saved in notepad needed to be binary. It would not let me load it. Notepad didn't have a save as item that was labeled binary. Anyone have that portion of the opto file in binary format? ;)
I will run it in 25,000 freq mode until we can figure it all out. I had no trouble with 45,000 on a slower computer. This is a laptop though. Different animal.
Lee

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 12:59:31 PM »
Some Laptops just wont run Mach, some will just run at the lowest kernel and some have no problems. The power saving on laptops can be the culprit so try setting it up as a desktop and if there are any power saving features turn them off.
Hood

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 03:41:23 PM »
I did all that as well, Hood. I got it to run the machine, but it runs it like crap. I really wanted to save some space with this as I didn't have room for a big monitor there....Yet. I hooked it back up to the older computer with the monitor sitting on a stool and the machine just purred. I guess I will just ignore laptops as a machine control source. This was my second attempt with a laptop. The other was a Toshiba satellite.
At any rate, I gues I'll be looking for a little LCD. :)
Thanks again.
Lee

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 03:58:38 PM »
Well if you want to save space you should look into the new mobo I just got myself :)
Look at the Pico board here LOL
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/
 I am testing it out with the smoothstepper board at the moment and it seems to work well but I dont have a machine hooked up to it, just watching Mach do its stuff on screen.

Hood

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 08:51:36 PM »
Well, now my old computer is giving me the same kind of trouble the laptop was. I was trying to run a job drilling holes in some cast tool plate for the saddle on this mill. Redesigning it. Yesterday this thing was purring @ 300 IPM with no problem. A soon as I drilled the first hole, I noticed it lost steps. Luckily I stopped and investigated further. I jogged the axes and they sounded just as bad as they did with the laptop. Extremely rough. Ran a driver test and at first it ran and was very erratic with big ole spikes. The second time I got this missing vector error again. Soooo....

This computer is pretty old. It was fairly old when I installed it a couple years ago. It's a 1 ghz. AMD I think.
I had the pulsing up to 45,000 yesterday and was fine. It won't run on anything today. Several reboots as well. I even tried Quantum and got the same error message with it's driver test. This machine has been optimized and is running XP home. I wonder if it is the CPU or the ram that may be getting flakey?

Anyway, I had a P4 sitting next to it. It's about as stable as a drunk on a unicycle, but once it finally gets booted up and running Mach 3, it's fine. Nice smooth driver test. The mill started working fine with it. I think I am still just as confused as I was to start with. ;)
Lee