Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:18:31 AM

Author Topic: Pulley Setup and Selection Mach 3  (Read 13033 times)

Pulley Setup and Selection Mach 3
« on: December 06, 2007, 11:07:17 AM »
I posted the following in the zone but have not had a response to date.  Hopeing to get some help here!!!  Anyone?

I can't seem to find the info in the users manual on how to set up the pulley selection criteria. The manual does not match the current screen I'm using. It speaks of ratios and such and the current screen has only pulley number, min speed and max speed for each of 6 pulley choices. Is that all that it requires??? I'm assuming that you set the gear (low or high and 1, 2 or 3 on my lathemaster ZAY), set the VFD for a given freq, say 40 hz) and measure the spindle speed for each setting. That would be the maximum speed and of course, 0 would be the minimum).
Here is the situation.
I just installed a hitachi vfd and leeson motor. The motor is only a 2 hp (mistake) and it stalls on low rpm torque requirements (1200 rpm (22 hz)????). I've tried unsuccessfully to adjust the L200 vfd for higher torque, but can't seem to wrap my head around the users manual!!!
So, it seems like the correct path is to use my lathemaster head gearing to run higher rpm and gear down for torque. I plan on cutting a hard steel for gun parts.
Also, the manual speaks of changing the pulley selection on the dro. I can't seem to find an input for "pulley" on the spindle speed dro!!! I hope this is a matter of mach control technology outrunning the documentation. Can you select the pulley using a software command.
Forgive the questions, but I'm still trying to learn mach and basic cnc machining.
Bill
Re: Pulley Setup and Selection Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 09:05:47 AM »
Setting up pulleys in Mach 3 is super easy.  Just fill in the pulley setup screens and Mach does the rest.  I calculated my gearing and calculated the max Spindle speed for the RPM of the motor (set for 55Hz), and entered that as the max value.  This can also be accomplished by by direct measurement of the max spindle speed with a tach.  Anyway, works fine and now I'm happy (again).
Bill
 ;D