Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:23:16 AM

Author Topic: Project IceMould. Manipulating M08/M09 command ?  (Read 15338 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Project IceMould. Manipulating M08/M09 command ?
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 05:27:45 PM »
Wil, I think a fuel injector would work good. They are designed to atomize. Cjmerlin is on to something. You can set it up as feed per rev. So you should get a really even build. You may be able to do this very easy. I will look at gecko drives and see if you can run a 12 VDC. All an injector does is get pulses, like a stepper.

Brett

;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 03:42:54 AM »
Plasma cutters use swirl in the gas to stable the arc. If you were to use a plasma torch, and a vacuum enduced draw off to water, like a spaygun, you could stop and start the action with a solenoid, and have a fine, stable mistline out of the plasma torch. Obviously a hack, the plasma won't like water too much.
You could have a stepper motor on the needle valve to control the water/air flow. Is your application in a cryo cooled vessel? If you have a low enough temperature, why not use steam? We can help you with the Mach3 implementation.

Whacko
Nothing's impossible

Offline wil

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2007, 02:38:45 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate your continued input.
I`m just trying to get to grips with my slow table speeds.
Brett as you can see from my motor tuning pics I am miles away from 1.5 G`s
ATM I have a 24V DC  14.6 Amp PSU for the Stepmaster driver, tommorow I`ll have the chance of borrowing
a 30V supply so I`ll see if that makes any diffs. Other wise I may need to look for bigger motors and possibly
go for individual drivers this time.

Whacko, no mate not cryo, my machine is just built in and around a bog standard desktop freezer which gets down to around -25 deg C

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 09:55:04 PM »
I understand Wil. The beauty of running the water as a pwm, the speed and accel. issuse would hardly matter then.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2007, 02:34:51 PM »
Hi All, just been away awhile so I'm missing the fun, Well there's two different things to try with this, My first I mentioned earlier was the step method where if connected to a soleniod (injector) setup means that you could give the M07/08 code at the beginning of the program and control the flow with pulses from the S word (more flow/more pulses) ie: larger S and no flow (S at 0).  This method may give a faster response than using M codes to switch the supply on and off.

The second method looks like a more complicated idea using the PWM method as I think you will need some sort of feedback for the PWM to work properly. If you are into electronics then you could sort something, maybe an encoder attached to the stepper to supply the feedback would do, then the pulse width of the PWM can be controlled using the S word.

Offline wil

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2007, 04:06:31 AM »
thanks cjmerlin. Yes your first method sounds great. I have found a nice looking solenoid driver http://www.rwautomation.com/products_sc5.html  that should do it. I`m not sure if my current valve driver is up to the job and is not configurable like the SC5 is. So i`m looking at that.
I still have some reservations on to how to implement the S codes within a program, it obviously pretty easy to edit the gcode for a simple rectangular path, but when I start to do more complex profile work I`d need an automated way to implement S codes. I will send an email to VisCam support to ask whats possible with their software, this can`t be an isolated problem.

Brett I appreciate what you`re saying about speed and accel but I really feel my speeds are too slow, full rapid measures around 60 inches per min, this equates to around 25 mm per sec and although I remember saying if I got a build speed of around 30mm per sec I`d be happy, well at the moment I`m feeling I need a lot more lattitude to play with, I dont want to be caught short later on in the project.
This reasoning is also coupled with the fact I do have a few mechanical issues to sort out, trouble is every now and then I hear the motor stall at 25mm/sec. so it`s not reliable enough. And life in the freezer throws up a few issues for my Y axis linear system, so I need to deal with that also.

Trust me my brain is on overload trying to get my project working.
tnx again for all the advice.

vmax549

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2007, 09:49:10 AM »
Will working with the Scode is not any different that working with the Mcode. Mach will still not let you intervene in mid movement.

WHat always worked best was a very fine mist and controlling your paths to get the proper coverage. You also may want to look at a paint spraygun as an applicator. You can control pattern and density by adjusting the head(;-)

(;-) TP