Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 07:05:06 PM

Author Topic: Lazycam & turn  (Read 3607 times)

Offline TonyP

•  132 132
    • View Profile
Lazycam & turn
« on: November 29, 2007, 12:17:21 PM »
Hi
I've just started playing with Lazycam and, as I have a lathe, I've had to fumble my way through the (apparently as yet undocumented) controls & options.
I've managed to create G code and even cut a couple of parts from DXFs. I have, however, managed to draw a simple part which seems to cause problems. It's just an excercise so it doesn't really matter, but it's not a 'difficult' part either.

The code looks ok & runs, but part way into the roughing it goes off & follows the finished profile.

The problem is caused by the groove at the left hand side. If I remove it everything is ok. I chamfered it to make it easier, but there's no difference.

Can someone try this and see if it's just something I haven't discovered yet?

Tony

Offline PaulWC

•  125 125
    • View Profile
Re: Lazycam & turn
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 04:34:33 PM »
Tony,

Art said he planned on having LazyCam fleshed out by Christmas... all bugs sorted out, Turn fully functional, and documentation done... as I recall.

20+ days and counting!  ;D

I haven't had a chance to try your file in LCam yet. but looked at it in TurboCAD. I noticed the line segments are individual, rather than the profile being a continuous polyline. If your CAD doesn't show them as continuous, you might try converting the profile to continous ployline and trying LCam again.

Paul, Central OR

Offline TonyP

•  132 132
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 04:14:19 AM »
Paul,

thanks for the reply. That would be a nice Christmas present.

L Cam seemed to clean up the profile very well and there is no problem visible until the code is posted. I may not have understood something in the setting up, but I think I found most of the points. As I said, removing the groove, gets rid of the spurious move.

Tony

Offline PaulWC

•  125 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 09:57:35 AM »
Tony,

I was just trying to "guilt trip" Art... in a good way.  ;)

He has obviously done coding magic over the last few years... especially remarkable if you read his background on this venture. It has truly been a labor (labour?) of love.

LazyCam has always been a "nice to have" addition, but lower priority than establishing a solid machine controller in Mach3.

I do hope LazyCam continues toward a solid application with wide user support... especially the Turn side. I already have a couple commercial CAM Apps for Mill operations, but am lacking in a comparable Turn CAM App. I have used Mach3 Turn Wizards in the past to generate code segments for each portion of a profile, then hand editing the code segments together for the complete profile with good results.

Turn CAM is more complex than Mill CAM due to the many variables concerning the tool used... tool shape, tool angle, toolholder clearance, reference point on the tool (9 possible locations, including "0" for center of tool), etc. Also, we seeking a Turn CAM solution are small minority amongst the Mach3 user base. Thankfully, Art has a personal interest in having Turn CAM available for his own use. I'm looking forward to any and all improvements to LazyCam's Turn function.

Paul, Central OR
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 10:00:22 AM by PaulWC »