Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:24:18 PM

Author Topic: Just purchased a laser line pointer  (Read 28484 times)

Re: Just purchased a laser line pointer
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 06:55:52 PM »
Has anybody tried powering a 5 volt laser module from a USB port...either the same one that powers the webcam or a second USB port?

Tom Hubin
thubin@earthlink.net
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 08:17:16 AM »
Hay me too

But I'm looking a targetting my drill press with one.  I also got some burning lasers 180 mw to try cutting some modeling wax (still on the way) that meant I had to get the safety glasses too. I am going to mount it on my CNC Router. Got some small plastic lens for focusing. I was thinking about scanning. I was watching the diameter of the dot as a object was rotated using a PC camera bmp.   

Think your right on the wave length.

I know a guy that got a Vinyl cutter and wants to use one to punch alignment holes in the vinyl decals to do overlays on those little racing remote control cars. What any of this has to do with 3D scanning ? I don't know but what your doing sounds interesting. I have a router and a lathe and I getting ready to put couple more of something together.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 05:47:13 AM »
I use lasers on my lathe/mill as home switches (shining onto detectors) but the cheapest laser I can get over here in the UK is from Maplin at £10 - 20$ - and it comes without any focusing. I have narrowed the beam by shining it down a 1mm dia hole about 1 inch long,

Are the lasers that you lads are getting - do they have any kind of focus device - so I could make my homing more accurate. I power mine from the 5 volt circuit for the rest of the home/limit switches. I could soon put another chip in to get down to 3.2v
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 06:58:53 AM »
These are cheap and free postage too.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5914

Greg
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 11:14:04 AM »
I use lasers on my lathe/mill as home switches (shining onto detectors) but the cheapest laser I can get over here in the UK is from Maplin at £10 - 20$ - and it comes without any focusing. I have narrowed the beam by shining it down a 1mm dia hole about 1 inch long,

Are the lasers that you lads are getting - do they have any kind of focus device - so I could make my homing more accurate. I power mine from the 5 volt circuit for the rest of the home/limit switches. I could soon put another chip in to get down to 3.2v

Hello jimpinder,

I use modules by Aixiz. Below is a link to their ebay auction for a $12, 635nm, 5mw, 3.2vdc module with adjustable lens and optional line or cross generator lens. They list some modules for 3-5vdc usage but sent me 3.2vdc modules when I ordered. When I got my refund they told me that they figure we can just use 3.2vdc modules at 5vdc. No thanks.

However, they do sell some 5vdc modules directly. Same module diameter of 12mm but various lengths. These seem to be leftovers so you need to call to and find out what they have.

Warning: The modules that I have used have had hot cases. V+ is tied to the case. It is common for one power lead or the other to be tied to a laser diode case. The diodes appear to be press fit into the metal cylinder. So you may need to mount the cylinder so that it is electrically isolated. I have covered mine with clear half inch diameter heat shrink tube. I chose clear so I could read the label.

http://cgi.ebay.com/635nm-5mW-laser-module-3-2VDC-w-adjustable-lens-635-nm_W0QQitemZ360074182311QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item360074182311&_trkparms=72%3A552%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

Tom Hubin
thubin@earthlink.net
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 09:49:12 PM »
Hello,

Here are four photos of, or using, the laser module portion of my video probe.

The first photo  shows the modified 5vdc, 5mw, 635nm laser module. I added a short USB cable with a USB A Male connector on the other end so that I can plug it into any USB port for power. Current draw is in the range of 20ma to 40ma so this presents no significant load on the USB power source. I got the module from Aixiz for about $20. They do not list this one on ebay. I wanted 5vdc. I had to settle for a module with TTL control because that is what they had. I wired the TTL control to 5vdc when I did the internal modifications.

The second photo is a closeup showing shrink tube around the module itself. I used half inch diameter clear shrink tubing. Clear so I can read the manufacturer's safety label on the module. The tubing isolates the electrically hot module case. The tubing also keeps the adjustable focus and line lenses from moving.

The third photo shows the laser module and laser light superimposed on the video probe drawing. This is how I focus the "collimating" lens and align the line generator lens. I slip the shrink tubing on first with just enough clearance that I can adjust the lenses. Once I am happy with the laser focus and line I then gently push the shrink tube over the lenses too. Then heat gun to shrink the tubing.

The fourth photo shows the assembled video probe with a common USB cable for the Watchport/V2 camera and a USB extension for the laser. This arrangement uses two USB ports at the computer. A USB hub can be used if there are not enough USB ports on the computer. The shrink tube covered laser module fits snugly in a half inch diameter hole. The line generator lens needs a little larger diameter hole but I chose to have that end of the laser module outside the hole, thereby avoiding the need to bore a more complicated hole.

A USB A male connector will not fit through a half inch diameter hole. So along the side nearest the laser module I have a 3/16 inch wide slit parallel to the laser module length. This allows me to insert the USB cable before I plug the hole with the laser module itself. I intend to use that slit as a clamping mechanism but on this prototype the module is held in place by two nylon 6-32, 3/8 inch long setscrews.

Several of the 1/8 inch diameter holes on the aluminum bar are alignment holes for fixtures to facilitate machining the aluminum bar.

Tom Hubin
thubin@earthlink.net