Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 03:20:41 AM

Author Topic: Is it best to stay with the default screens?  (Read 375 times)

Is it best to stay with the default screens?
« on: June 22, 2023, 09:01:56 PM »
I have a basic 24x36 CNC router based on the Fineline Automation FLA-100. I've added a few features, but all-in-all it is not complex. I've written a few Lua scripts to automate tool change and finding top (ideas taken from Gerry's Screenset 2000 for Mach3).
Many of the features on the default Mach4 screensets are of little use to me.
But I'm torn between keeping it simple and just ignoring what I don't use, or redesigning to meet my needs.

It occurred to me that the latter might not be the best idea if there are significant changes from release to release with the code integral to the screensets. Are there significant changes to the screensets from release to release?
Re: Is it best to stay with the default screens?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 10:52:53 PM »
Hi,
one of the design goals according to smurph, was that Mach4 have strong GUI editing features that would allow customisation of the screen. This is particularly attractive for OEMs
who have a distinct look and feel that they are trying to achieve.

I would say 'have at it!' Make a screen set to suit you and your machine. If there is something about a later build that you really want or need, then excerpt that code and put it into your
screen set.

One thing about Mach4 is that the screens are 'feature dense' or cluttered....much like Mach3 which precedes it. I think the most likely explanation is that NFS wanted new Mach4 users
having migrated from Mach3 to see that all the same features are still available........but many of those features are un-used. I had the same issue with Mach3.
You could quite happily go through and remove 50% of a regular Mach4 screen and still have plenty to work with.

I wonder if you've noticed many of the industrial controller screens, Fanuc, Sinumerik etc....they are sparse, at least by comparison.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Bill_O

•  563 563
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 01:11:15 PM »
Make sure you rename your custom screen also.
If you dont and update Mach your changes will be wiped out.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 09:28:23 PM »
Thank you Bill and Joe.