Hello Guest it is April 29, 2024, 03:32:31 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 + Sherline lathe help - stuck at g1/G01 and M3  (Read 2093 times)

Mach4 + Sherline lathe help - stuck at g1/G01 and M3
« on: May 31, 2023, 02:11:08 PM »
If anyone happens to have a mach4 profile for the sherline lathe with sherline controller they can share that would be super helpful. I may have missed some settings

2 of my biggest issues right now. I can't use the turn cycles to create gcode because the program will freeze when it hits a G1 command.
If I edit the gcode the next line it stops at is a M03 because mach4 isn't controlling the spindle. How do I stop these from happening?
Re: Mach4 + Sherline lathe help - stuck at g1/G01 and M3
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 04:43:05 AM »
If M03 doesn't make the spindle start, go to the Output Signals setup and make sure the right output pin is mapped to Spindle On/Off. You might have to change the state of the pin by hand to test.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 05:57:02 AM »
This is probably not what you want to hear but 99% of my lathe code is hand scratched. I'm very picky on how I want the lathe to move and end up editing most of it anyway. Try creating your code in the edit gcode window and run the code to simulate and see if it does what you want. If there are complex curves use a CAM program to generate the finish pass. Now that I have been doing it a while I end up with much more efficient code. One of the programs right off the cam program was over 6 minutes. With some tweaks and combining moves that part is made in 3 and a half minutes. Many advantages to understanding gcode.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 06:10:55 AM »
From your original post I can't tell but is the lathe setup to where you can jog it around with the keyboard? I setup a friend's lathe many years ago on mach3 and the only thing different was ports and pins. He used to make pens on it. Hundreds.

Is the biggest problem getting code generated? Or running the code?