Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:31:46 PM

Author Topic: G31 probing via array macro.  (Read 30845 times)

G31 probing via array macro.
« on: November 04, 2007, 03:36:20 PM »
Calling Terry Parker.

Hey Terry here is the thread for digitizing. I will post the image of the guitar in a little while, but wanted to get this up and started.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 01:21:55 AM by turmite »

vmax549

Re: Lt's get digi with it! Digitizing a Guitar
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 05:02:28 PM »
I am waiting. In the meanwhile I have figured out that if we scan in in a specifc order say CCW that all you would have to do is add a preamble to the top of the points file and issue a G1 and the points  file will cut itself in the order it was probed. Aint that a kicker built in mini 2d cam.

You will have to set up mach to do a  3 axis points file with axis letters included, simple enough

If you add in the proper approach you can even use tool comp.

So that means if we can probe the outer in the same specific order it will also cut itself after being setup. 

But all it can do is line segments so we probe in fine detail or just clean it up in CAD/CAM and do it right.

Hum All I have to do is write several direction order specific probing routines, add a startup preamble to configure the mill and it can cut the points file.  SWEET

This sounds like a GREAT new feature that is needed in LCAM.  2D POINTS TO G CODE conversion.(;-)
(;-) TP
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 07:25:54 PM by vmax549 »

vmax549

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 07:44:31 PM »
Here is another interesting tidbit If when you probe in order then you can take the points file and ADD a G1 to the top and load it up as a GCDOE file and see the line shape of the object. You should be able to then open LCAM and load up the MACH Gcode file and have a LCAM project to work with.

BUT I can't get Lcam to open the file(or any MACH gcode file for that matter) So I cannot test that part yet.

So If we can back load the Gcode file into Lcam then we can use all the features of LCAM.    IFIFIFIF it would open the file.

Backdoor CAM so to speak.

(:-) TP
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 08:50:52 PM »
Hi Terry,

Sorry about being so long getting back with you. I am an ordained minister, though not pastoring a church and a local congregation called early this morning and needed a fill in. Their pastor is bad sick.

Anyway here is a file that is similar to what I want to do, but not the actual guitar. I will have to get in photographed or......I have a cad file of it already, just a cad that is not correct. I would possibly get us close enough to do the probe job though. This jpg will give you a good idea though of what I need.

Mike

ps the second shot with the real guitar is actually closer but both will give you an idea. I have to digitize from the back side and all I want is the outside profile.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 08:52:33 PM by turmite »

vmax549

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 09:15:06 PM »
Not a problem Mike, If you have the lords work to do then take care of that first We have all the time in the world to work on this project, Unless of course I hear the horns blowing and his voice calling from the clouds, then you are on your own I am going HOME(;-)

I THink this is going to be a piece of cake with the new G31polar arrays we have now. They are completly configurable as to the area they can probe.  All or any portion of a circle inside or out in any direction and any diameter at any resolution (;-)

What we will have in the end is a 2d point SHAPE file not a point cloud.

Also we are working on a way to backload the points into LCAM for Cut file processing that way you will not have to be specific on the probing order just collect the points any way you choose. Then you can process the Shape file with all of LCAM functions to produce a proper gcode file for Mach to run.

Can you tell I am excited about this developement with the arrays????

(;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 10:01:13 PM »
Terry I can tell you are real excited! Now I just wish I knew why! ;D Would you prefer to have the cad that is close to right to set your boundries with? Now remember, I only need this for cad at the moment as I have lots of modeling to do such as putting the neck pocket in, pickup cavities and wiring routes. I will of course have to put the neck attachment screw holes but that isn't a biggy.

Mike
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 10:04:30 PM »
Terry I got to thinking. If you can use the polar array point gathering thing, is there any way to incllude something like that in the 3d probe plug where tihe array is used to determine the physical boundries of a contained point cloud? You know where I'm going with this one don't you?

Mike

vmax549

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 10:06:50 PM »
MIke that file would help out.   
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 10:09:31 PM »
Terry I keep thinking of all these things after I have hit the post button! Any chance you can be in Knoxville Tn the last full weeked in Feburary for a tentative Southeast US Mach convention? Poppabear (Scott) is heading it up. If it goes off, I have already comitted to give away a $1995 seat of Madcam which is a cam plugin for Rhino and hopefully by then I will also have a new cad/cam beta to let people try out? This would be a good time for you to teach about the probe plugin as well as demonstrate it.

Mike
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 10:11:46 PM »
Terry what file extension and I would rather not post this one on the web since it is for a customer. Email me at

turmite

too

at

g

mail

dot

com

You should know how to put it all together to make it work. I will then send the file directly to you.

Mike