Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 12:59:53 AM

Author Topic: Update Mach4 with least pain  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Azalin

•  181 181
    • View Profile
Re: Update Mach4 with least pain
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 03:39:02 PM »
Hi,
to answer the question about updating.

If you download a new build of Mach4 then you'll also get a new copy of wx4.set, wx6.set etc and all the standard screen sets. If you have an existing
copy of lets say wx4.set and you have been adding and editing bits of it then it will get overwritten and all your edits will be lost.

What you need to do is your current screen set, whatever it is called, you need rename it to give it a unique mane. Then when you update to a later build it will be left
alone, and you can carry on using the same scree set but in a later build.

Craig
Thanks Craig

Offline Bill_O

•  563 563
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 03:40:37 PM »
Azalin,
Just remember that is not going to fix your problem.

Offline Azalin

•  181 181
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 03:48:51 PM »
Azalin,
Just remember that is not going to fix your problem.

You are right.

Don't miss my last post
https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=47245.msg296567#msg296567

Offline Bill_O

•  563 563
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 05:15:49 PM »
Don't miss my last post
https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=47245.msg296567#msg296567

I saw it.
That is why I said make each tool a different file instead of trying the manual change in the middle of a file and needing different lengths.
Just make sure to remove tool information if you do this before opening the file.

Offline Azalin

•  181 181
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2023, 02:56:36 AM »
Thanks Bill
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2023, 08:29:33 AM »
I'm curious.  Are you setting tool lengths somewhere on your machine?  Also, to use the H for the tool length, you need to call a G43 H(Toolnumber)
Chad Byrd

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2023, 10:02:34 AM »
I think Chad's on the right track. You're either resetting the Z zero for each tool and then calling a tool length with a G43 Hx in your gcode, or you're not resetting the Z zero. If your gcode has tool length calls, like G43 Hx Zxx, and there is a number in the tool table, AND your reset Z zero in there somewhere, you're doomed!

I think what you need to do is either set tool lengths by gaging the tools first, set them in the tool table and just run the program without having to stop and reset the Z zero, or, like Bill said, run each tool as a separate gcode file and just use a tool number that doesn't have a length in the tool table and set the Z zero WITH the tool before each file.

It ain't Mach4:)

Tom
--
Tom
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2023, 07:09:34 PM »
Hi,
I use Bills strategy also. I have only manual tool change and must perforce touch off in Z every toolchange.

I use Fusion and its really quite convenient for this procedure.

I do the CAD per normal then go to the CAM section. I do all the tool operations say with the 1.5mm four flute endmill
on one material setup. It's very useful to think about and decide early on a work zero that will remain consistent throughout
multiple operations.

Now when I want to swap tools to 1/8th or 1/4 say, I make a new setup, but Fusion offers the convenience of re-using the existing material setup,
and if you have chosen the work zero appropriately then you can retain the same work zero, at least X and Y, but touch off the Z alone and zero at the tool change.

Fusion applies a post processor to each setup, thus with the two setups which are essentially replicas, I end up with two toolpath files, and I name them OP1, OP2 etc. Its quite
convenient. Most importantly NO-COCKUPS!

Craig
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 07:11:14 PM by joeaverage »
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'