Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:33:09 PM

Author Topic: Controlling Spindle With Mach 4 (Without VFD)  (Read 585 times)

Controlling Spindle With Mach 4 (Without VFD)
« on: March 27, 2023, 04:48:44 PM »
I have a brushless spindle motor and I want Mach 4 to control it. I have a Warp9 ESS Smooth Stepper with a CNC4PC C82 Board and a C89 Board. How could I do it using the board it came with?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804130222444.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.71051802lPu3qa&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US
Re: Controlling Spindle With Mach 4 (Without VFD)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 07:10:13 AM »
Well, assuming that what you have is like the one in the photos with a 10k speed control potentiometer, then probably one end of the pot will have 10V on it and the other 0V.  The wiper will then give a variable voltage between 0 and 10v to control speed.  So wherever the wiper connects to on the PCB needs a variable voltage over this range. connected to it, which would presumably come from the C89 board.  One thing to look out for is that the motor controller probably doesn't have mains isolation so that would have to come from the C89 board which might support it - but as the documentation on the CNC4PC site is so useless I can't tell you.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 07:47:27 AM »
It has Optoisolated input signal PWM. And yes the Documentation isn't so good. I did attach the manual if that would help.

Thank you
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 07:57:01 AM »
OK, well you have the manual so just need to read it...
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 08:18:11 AM »
OK, well you have the manual so just need to read it...
I read it but I am not seeing anything on if it has isolated mains protection.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 06:14:17 PM »
Hi,
I would concern myself less with the C89 board but you need to know how to interface to the motor controller.

I see for instance that it has a pot, but that does NOT necessarily mean you can put an analog voltage straight in there.
Documentation on the motor controller is whats required...and likely that's in Chinese.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 07:15:31 PM »
Hi,

Well, assuming that what you have is like the one in the photos with a 10k speed control potentiometer, then probably one end of the pot will have 10V on it and the other 0V.

That's pure guess work, and a guesses go its pretty fair too....but you can't afford to guess.

I see there is a micro on the board likely 5V or maybe 3.3V. Its far from impossible that the pot is connected to the micro, ie 3.3V or 5V. If you come along
and blithely apply 10V you could pop the micro...and it would be your fault.

You need to find out about the control board first. Any talk of a C89 or any other board is way premature.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'