Hello Guest it is April 28, 2024, 05:29:19 PM

Author Topic: Keyboard short cuts & editing current Gcode  (Read 765 times)

Keyboard short cuts & editing current Gcode
« on: February 19, 2023, 11:31:50 AM »
In Mach3 it was very convenient: Click "Edit" make the changes, save. and run again.
Mach4 is a pain: close the file, switch to an editor, find the file, edit, save, switch to Mach4, click on file open, find the file, and finally run again.

I realize that custom buttons can be added but I am surprised that one is missing.
I have searched high and low for keyboard shortcuts but no luck.
There are so many great features in Mach4 that I might be overlooking the obvious.
Bertho
Re: Keyboard short cuts & editing current Gcode
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 03:10:10 PM »
Hi,
I'm not quite sure what you mean. If I want to edit the Gcode which is already loaded into Mach4 I use the <EditGcode> button.
The Gcode file is opened in the editor of your choice, as programmed in Machs General settings, do the required edit, then close the editor
and the edited Gcode is now in Machs Gcode window per normal.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 03:17:56 PM »
Thank you for replying.
Yes, That works great in Mach3.
It is horrible in Mach4 without that option (at least I have knot found it).
Bertho
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 03:37:30 PM »
Did you look at the screen shot that Craig provided?

It shows the desired button in the standard screen sets. If you have a customized screen set it may not be there, but it works fine in the standard ones.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 03:44:14 PM »
Hi,
Steve is right, this is a standard wx4.set from build 4839, but that button has been in every standard screen set for the last eight years
I've been using Mach4.

Craig
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 03:51:02 PM »
Hi,
So what screen set are you using? Look at the very lowest right-hand conrner and the current screen set is listed.

The only thing I can think of is that you are using wxMach....which is a very stripped down screen set used for testing, and only ever in the early days at that.
If that is the case may I ask if you are using a XHC motion controller?. If I'm not mistaken XHC motion controllers do not support Machs standard screens (with built-in
GUI editor) and must perforce use wxMach.

Craig
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 03:57:54 PM »
Hi,
I just tried loading wxMach.set....and it does not list the screen set in use at the lower right-hand corner as do wx4.set and others.

Can you post a screen shot of your screen......I suspect it will be wxMach, but a screen shot will confirm it.

Craig
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2023, 05:05:16 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.
I am just switching from Mach3 to four and the first implementation is a laser cutter.  The Mach4 & ESS installation came with four screens.
I saw an error message on the plasma screen so I switched to the supplied router screen to get it up and running and I planned to later find or create a laser screen.
The installation screen is wxRouter.set so that explains my problem. 
Why would Mach4 installation include a limited function screen?
I previously received a copy of laser screen but it will not load, apparently it is corrupted or missing some support files.

What screen set should I use?
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2023, 07:01:57 PM »
Hi,
I've just tried wxRouter.set and wxPlasma.set and both have the <EditGcode> button.

Typically wx4.set and wx6.set are the 'all inclusive' screen sets. You would take one of those as a basis and delete those things that you don't need for your machine.
Other screensets like wxRouter.set tend to be a subset of the 'full house' but with perhaps one or two features added specifically for that type of machine.

Take a copy of whatever screenset most closely matches your machine and give it a unique name. Then you edit/add whatever you detremine you want.

Craig
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2023, 08:34:23 PM »
I am sorry for all the confusion on my part.  I am used to Mach3 with the edit button always there.
On Mach4 I was in the jog mode and did not remember to switch to the file option to edit.
Thanks again for great support.
Bertho